SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been trying to start the old 8v 900 (carb) I've kept garaged for the past three or so years. As it refused to fire up, I checked things until it became evident that it's a fuel problem. No fuel comes out the pump. Took out the pump, checked it worked if activated manually (it does), put it back, checked all the fuel lines for leaks, tried the car but still no luck. I'd already put a gallon of fresh fuel in the tank and, just in case, added yet another gallon. Still no ignition and no fuel from the pump, even though I can get the petrol to travel from the tank by sucking the fuel pump inlet line.

So now I'm wondering if it could be possible that the tank was completely dry and a couple of gallons of fuel might just not be enough to get the car started again, or get the pump to do its work. Does this make sense? Could more fuel help? How much if any fuel actually remains innaccessible at the bottom of the empty tank? Also, though I don't know if this matters, the car is on a very slight slope, nose down.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
could take maybe 4 gal in the tank...

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
lando1 said:
no fuel from the pump, even though I can get the petrol to travel from the tank by sucking the fuel pump inlet line..
Try a little gas (go easy) down the carb throat OR fill the float bowl and put the top back on - think of it as priming the pump - car should start and activate the pump enough to get things going - you're trying to suck a LOT of air through the lines and filter - probably won't do the trick on the starter unless you're dedicated to a lot of crankin'

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's great. Thank you for the infos. I'll fill the tank with another couple of gallons tomorrow and 'prime' the pump as suggested.

Many thanks. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
lando1 said:
Been trying to start the old 8v 900 (carb) I've kept garaged for the past three or so years. As it refused to fire up, I checked things until it became evident that it's a fuel problem. No fuel comes out the pump. Took out the pump, checked it worked if activated manually (it does), put it back, checked all the fuel lines for leaks, tried the car but still no luck. I'd already put a gallon of fresh fuel in the tank and, just in case, added yet another gallon. Still no ignition and no fuel from the pump, even though I can get the petrol to travel from the tank by sucking the fuel pump inlet line.

So now I'm wondering if it could be possible that the tank was completely dry and a couple of gallons of fuel might just not be enough to get the car started again, or get the pump to do its work. Does this make sense? Could more fuel help? How much if any fuel actually remains innaccessible at the bottom of the empty tank? Also, though I don't know if this matters, the car is on a very slight slope, nose down.
The slight down slope shouldn't matter. All you need is enough fuel in the tank to completely cover the pump inlet enough to prevent cavitation (drawing in air through vortices formed around the opening into the pump) once the pump starts and primes itself to build up fuel pressure in the line to the engine.

Probably 10 litres or less would be enough. If the car was on a sideways slope, that would affect it since the fuel pump sits on the left side of the tank, and a slope to the right would make fuel flow down towards the right side of the tank bottom.

Craig.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for all the tips. Got her started after 'priming ' the pump and giving her another gallon .

Now though, looks like she's also loosing coolant somewhere. Well...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts