SaabCentral Forums banner

How many cranks to start are normal?

777 13
I have a 1992 900 16v non-turbo. It takes about 3 cranks to start. I define three cranks as: whirr whirr whirr broooom (pretty technical huh?:D ). I have owned an '89 turbo that used to start on the 1st or 2nd crank every time (just a tap of the key).
What is the deal here? Is it normal for my year/type of car to take 3 cranks to start. Are there other cars out there that take three cranks and it is just accepted?

If there is something wrong I would like to fix it. Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Matt
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
A little tip...

Has your fuel pump ever been replaced? Your car will crank more than usual if you're loosing pressure in your fuel supply line from the pump to engine. The Fuel Supple check valve is a common place to start. It's a $7 part!:D

· Registered
65 Posts
If you remove your rear trunk cover...you'll see a steel cover that is the fuel pump cover. When you take that off you'll see two lines going into the top into these plastic things. Those plastic things are the check valves. People usually replace just the pump within that canister...well...something odd about SAABS...EVERYTIME you replace the pump...you must replace the send check valve. Don't ask why, this is just how it is. I'm sure if you have a good local SAAB Mech. they'll do it for like $10 plus part...it's really a 10 minute job if you take it to them with the cover off etc...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.