SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 900 16v non-turbo. It takes about 3 cranks to start. I define three cranks as: whirr whirr whirr broooom (pretty technical huh?:D ). I have owned an '89 turbo that used to start on the 1st or 2nd crank every time (just a tap of the key).
What is the deal here? Is it normal for my year/type of car to take 3 cranks to start. Are there other cars out there that take three cranks and it is just accepted?

If there is something wrong I would like to fix it. Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I dunno my 87 900s used to take 1-2 cranks,but now it goes whirr whirr whirr whiir whirr broooommmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
818 Posts
Sometimes my car takes like 10mins to start :p Or if its cold it wont.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Both my 8V turbos fire/d up first time ... "Click ... Boom", but IIRC, my 8V 900i needed a couple of cranks ... "Click ... Cough Cough ... Boom" :cheesy:

I think it's to do with the fuel pre-pump. When you switch the key to the pre-crank position on the turbo, you can hear a humming from the fuel pump which then stops after about a second or two until you fire up. On the NA model, the fuel pump does not start until you turn the key ... hence the extra couple of cranks. It might be an age related thing though, since both my turbos have been post-facelift and the injection was a flat nose.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Depending on how the engine controll works, there is a minimum theoretical revs. Some ECUs need to have one full rev, to read the crank shaft sensor and get the timing right, then start ignition on second rev.

I don't know the ECU function for the SAABs.

·
4,637 Posts
But, if the sensor cutouts on the crank are sitting 60 degrees before the sensor when you start cranking, is that not enough? I think there are two sensor points on the crank also since a spark plug fires every half turn of the crankshaft...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Orca said:
my 8V turbo fires up first time ... "Click ... Boom" :cheesy:
just like mine :cheesy: :cheesy:

Paul

·
Registered
65 Posts
A little tip...

Has your fuel pump ever been replaced? Your car will crank more than usual if you're loosing pressure in your fuel supply line from the pump to engine. The Fuel Supple check valve is a common place to start. It's a $7 part!:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, both pumps were replaced by the previous owner a couple of years ago. Is the check valve part of the pump, or is it in the engine compartment?

I was also going to throw a new set of NGK's in to see if that would make a difference.

I want to get that Click...Brooommm thing going on with my car, if I can. :cheesy:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One other thing that I left out, is that it seems to start better if I push down on the throttle a little when cranking.

Do the people in the "Click...Boom" category have to touch the gas pedal when starting?

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you remove your rear trunk cover...you'll see a steel cover that is the fuel pump cover. When you take that off you'll see two lines going into the top into these plastic things. Those plastic things are the check valves. People usually replace just the pump within that canister...well...something odd about SAABS...EVERYTIME you replace the pump...you must replace the send check valve. Don't ask why, this is just how it is. I'm sure if you have a good local SAAB Mech. they'll do it for like $10 plus part...it's really a 10 minute job if you take it to them with the cover off etc...

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
CCSAAB300 said:
One other thing that I left out, is that it seems to start better if I push down on the throttle a little when cranking.

Do the people in the "Click...Boom" category have to touch the gas pedal when starting?
No way ... in fact, the owner's manual says not to.

·
Registered
58 Posts
CCSAAB300 said:
I have owned an '89 turbo that used to start on the 1st or 2nd crank every time (just a tap of the key).
My '89 turbo drops into the Click...whirr..whirr..whirr...Boom! category and is remarkably consistent whether it's hot, cold or somewhere in between. Maybe it depends on the fuel injection system fitted (Bosch, Lucas). Think mines Lucas...

·
4,637 Posts
CCSAAB300 said:

My LPT starts on the button every time. Clutch down, no throttle.

The N/A starts on the button when cold but requires longer cranking and a touch of the throttle when warm. I'll have to diagnose that at some point...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts