SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not having any issues with mine at 95k but i just wanted to see how long i should expect to be able to go without replacing the stock shocks. i've done more than enough city driving on some terrible roads in downtown hartford (ct) and the aero setup is i think still doing fine. i am definitely going to go with the bilstein hds once the time comes, if not sooner. i just want to make sure i'm covered while i go out and replace the standard piping with 3" from the turbo back and elsewhere. i know it can vary with conditions and certainly between the different models of the 9-5 but though i'd ask to get some info. any takers? :cool:

·
Registered
809 Posts
130000 Km,in good condition,replaced with Aero's because of tuning bug.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Mine lasted four years, and I still routinely waste the front wheel berings.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone for the replies, it sounds then that i may be nearing the end of the useful life of the stocks shocks. not exciting but from what i've read the aftermarket upgrades do wonders for the car so i do have that to look forward to. i do put a lot of miles on the car, no two-ways about that, but maybe the age of them (i can't believe its a 5yo car now!) versus the mileage will work in my favor. i'll just have to keep an eye out for spongy performance and leaks from the struts i guess.

SIlverAero, did you replace yours because of breakage or to upgrade?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
140,000 miles on mine and they are still going strong. My mechanic checked them last spring and I just checked them over this last summer and not a problem anywhere. :cheesy: That upgrade is on my list so we'll see how long they hold out.....hopefully until the upgrade.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
About 97k I believe. Although, I replaced mine once the bounce in the rear shocks became annoying to me. :roll:

·
Registered
7,878 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
I've just reached 90k on my car and I can't wait for my shocks to go bad so I can have an excuse to get Bilstein HDs....:lol:

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
At 90k I'm sure your rear shocks are pretty close to smoked anyways. Go for it!

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
blinktude said:
I've just reached 90k on my car and I can't wait for my shocks to go bad so I can have an excuse to get Bilstein HDs....:lol:

I would think twice before lowering / stiffening an 9-5 Aero, especially if planning on driving in cities (Boston/NYC)

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Mattlach said:
I would think twice before lowering / stiffening an 9-5 Aero, especially if planning on driving in cities (Boston/NYC)
Bilstein HD's are just shocks, not a stiffer lowering spring setup.

They are a bit firmer than the stock shocks, but in a way that you just skip over bumps instead of taking them for a ride. I found it much more comfortable... not to mention, the car also handles MUCH better with them.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
The bus just clocked around 102,000 miles this week; I have not noted any suspension work on the history notes [quite comprehensive all the way up to the car was washed out near Tewksbury last year]. The only suspension issue I have is a little noise in the front probably associated with tired ARB drop links, you can wiggle them a little.

As the car is a load lugger I am investigating still what to do about the rear, it does struggle a bit [I clearly don't have the Nivomat rear dampers :cry: ]

·
Registered
805 Posts
stipud said:
Bilstein HD's are just shocks, not a stiffer lowering spring setup.

They are a bit firmer than the stock shocks, but in a way that you just skip over bumps instead of taking them for a ride. I found it much more comfortable... not to mention, the car also handles MUCH better with them.
So apparently there are two Bilsteins that fits in our Saab? HD and sport?
Whats the difference between the two?
Also when I drive around the city and hit a pot-hole, the front bottoms out often and I hear a loud thump. Would that go away if install the Bilstein shocks?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts