SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take to change the head gasket?

I have the full procedure and all parts and required tools, just trying to get an estimate on how long it will take
DIY with all the tools and two guys capable of moderately difficult repair experience.

How long did it take you ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks nick, way to surf the web at work :nono;

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks like 4 hours according to the WIS :cheesy:

·
Registered
666 Posts
That got a guffaw out of me.

OP, IF you've got all of the tools (and know how to use them) and IF your procedure is sound you can get it done in less than a day, easy. But it's good to remember that Murphy has a Swedish cousin and he prays on well-meaning DIYers in their driveways and garages. In other words, don't try to do it the day before you need to drive it. Ah, and to continue with my doom and gloom, since you are revealing so much of your engine and accessories, there is a fair to middling chance you're going to find something that needs to be taken care of on the way.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Just an update, frozenbinary and I successfully replaced my head gasket this weekend. Bought new bolts, head, intake, and exhuast gaskets from eeuroparts.com.
We started Saturday morning and had the entire engine torn down and all the gasket surfaces cleaned up by Saturday night. As I was installing the exhaust manifold back on I snapped a stud. So that was the end of the night since stores were all closed.

Sunday morning went over to home depot and got a set of screw extractors and a new bolt to replace the stud. Also picked up a 40 piece tap and die set from harbor freight for $12! (definitely not the most amazing quality but just fine for chasing already cut threads). The broken stud came out with no problems at all and the manifold was back on in no time. Once that was back together reassembly went very smoothly.

While I was at this job with all the extra space in the engine bay, I replaced the motor mount with a genuinesaab version and realigned the shifter linkage. That did wonders for the sketchy shifting I was having problems with. Also replaced all the vacuum hoses with silicone.

To be honest, with the exception of the new motor mount the car does not feel much different, but its good to have that head gasket renewed and the bolts updated and definitely torqued properly. Thanks to everyone here who has posted about replacing the gasket, setting the engine timing, and all the other little bits of nonsense, without the plethora of threads that I referenced here this job would've taken a week, not just 12 hours spread over 2 days

·
Registered
253 Posts
HAHAHA try 6 or so... good grief. If it were not for the copious amounts of problems I have been experiencing I would say it takes about 8 hours or so to get the head off, clean the block surface, and put it all back together. You also have to account for how quickly or slowly your machine shop can have your head resurfaced. This usually takes a day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts