SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m replacing a power steering line and I removed the power steering pump. I’m wondering now if I should replace the whole pump and pulley? The car has 160k miles and I think the pump is original

I found a Cardone brand pump for $79, $55 something after coupons. Is this a good brand?

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Unless the one you have is making noises or grinding when you spin the pulley I would stick with the original myself.

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
The "rebuilt" pump may be worse quality. A good used pump will be fine, if and when you need one.

Make sure the fluid is the proper spec and clean, you should be good.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I didn’t even notice it was remanufactured

No noise from pulley but I did have to drive for 5-10 minutes on virtually no fluid. Luckily it was mostly a straight road but yeah. Either way, it’s a pretty easy part to replace so maybe I’ll just put it back

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
Ah, that's a bit more information then.

Well, on the other hand, you don't want a damaged or failing pump sending debris to the steering rack, because that isn't a straightforward replacement.

Then again, I had a pump on an NG900 (similar but obviously not the same) where the shaft seal failed and it leaked out just about all the fluid a few times over the 200km trip home. Yes, I stopped and picked up a jug of PS fluid. Anyway, I fixed the seal on the pump, while also pulling a nice-looking one from a junkyard car. The fixed pump ran okay for a few years, but then I decided that I might as well use the nicer pump....and that one worked fine until the car was scrapped.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I kinda get the feeling that they're a little bit more durable than some people think, but I hope I don't eat my words!

However I'm still open to being convinced to just buy a new one.

I also have a parts car with 220k miles, and I'm unsure if the pump has been replaced. Should I consider taking that one?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm confused...what's wrong with the original one?
I’m sorry I should have mentioned in the original post, but I forgot it happened. It ran for 5-10 minutes with no power steering fluid. Haven’t started it since due to the leak. And it has 160k miles

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It got fairly noisy, as in I heard it right away. That typical power steering squeak and groaning. I think the reservoir got a little steamy too.

before that the power steering felt fine, but now that it went through that and it’d be easy I’m wondering if I should put a new one on so as to not go through the hassle of having to take the pump off again, considering its age as well

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So I just finished the job of replacing the whole (or half) of the line and fit it with a compression fitting so I didn't have to drop the rack (thanks @bob3000 for that suggestion) and no leaks! However, the pump is pretty whiny. It was VERY whiny when I first started it and it started sucking down fluid. Now, it's baseline is this:

I let it run like that for about 2 minutes before shutting it off. I'm worried it could damage the steering rack or something

So...I've read a few times that when people flush their power steering fluid that there is some initial noise and after a drive or two it quiets down. I'm wondering if that's what my situation is like? It definitely looks like it's bleeding the system

Anyone have any ideas? Can I drive it for a little bit and see what happens?

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
Did you turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times with the reservoir lid off? That's one trick to get air out of the system.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times with the reservoir lid off? That's one trick to get air out of the system.
Yeah I was having my friend do that. The wheels weren't on the ground though, which I feel makes a difference

I definitely could have kept doing that to bleed the air out but I just turned it off because I didn't wanna damage anything, and it started snowing. I'll probably do that tomorrow, unless anyone thinks I shouldn't start the car with the pump making noise?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I'd say given the whining sound, if bleeding the air doesn't get rid of the noise, I'd probably replace the pump. If it wasn't whining before the fluid loss and is now whining like that, it's probably on its way out. You could drive it for a while and see what happens. If it were me I'd replace the pump at this point.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
From what I can gather from these forums, the ZF pump on the 9-5 seems to be a lot more reliable than the GM pump on the NG900 and OG 9-3.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I bled the air out and the whining is gone. We’ll see how long it lasts!
That's good! These PS pumps are pretty robust based on what I read here. I've lost PS fluid on another vehicle due to a hose popping off, and there was no long-term damage. The pump was fine after replacing the hose and topping off.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I bled the air out and the whining is gone. We’ll see how long it lasts!
I had a 1999 9-5 that lost its power steering fluid and was noisy after repairs, it quieted down after bleeding, the pump worked fine for almost ten years but was a little noisy when it was really cold out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So I finally finished all the mechanical work for this car, took it for its first test drive and everything's solid...except the PS pump. There's no noise, no leaks, but I only get PS power when I give it any sort of gas.

If I'm in park, 800 RPM, there's a 50% chance I have no PS power. A few times, I did. A few times, it was pretty weak. It seems random. When I give it any gas, whether in drive or park, it's smooth as butter. And for the record I'm not speaking of the fact that a car is easier to turn if it has no power steering but you are driving at speed

Is this an indicator that the pump is on its way out?

I'm going to start driving it now and maybe it'll clear up, but I assume the problem may get worse!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts