SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had the engine out and changed the oil pump, chain kit and stuff. I have flushed out the oil cooler and anything else that had oil in. I finally got the engine back in the car! It’s turning over sounding fine, but how long should it take to before the oil light should go off? Also I had the changed the oil cooler/filter housing whilst it was still in the car, I was concerned that the oil feed pipe that goes across the sump could have come dislodged when I replaced the housing? Is that possible? Could I do my starter any damage keeping it on? Any help or advice would be welcome.;ol;​

·
Registered
867 Posts
Oil light should go off immediately after starting (ie. one second). If it's staying on when running - major problem. If there's a long delay, not good, but there's weak initial pressure somewhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not running

Hi thanks for the reply but I dont have it running just turning over with the starter, its how you get the engine refilled before you start it... so i am lead to believe ( Haynes workshop)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi thanks for the reply but I dont have it running just turning over with the starter, its how you get the engine refilled before you start it... so i am lead to believe ( Haynes workshop)
If that's the case, you should have oil pressure almost immediately. If you don't have it within 1-2 seconds, kill the motor.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Did you Vaseline the oil pump when you pit it in . It helps prime it . If not put 5 extra quarts of oil in the motor for a total of 10. That will submerge the pump below the oil level thus filling it and priming it . If the crossover pipe fell out the o-rings on pipe need to be changed anyway . After prime remove 5 qts before starting . If you cut balance chain and didn't block tiny hole in adjuster , that's a 20% oil pressure loss .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep thats it

Yep that double oil amount worked, fraction of the time it takes normally... now she purrrs like a pussy cat... But I will not be taking that out again in a hurry :( Thanks good tip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts