Registered
1 Posts
eddielin said:
On tirerack, they have 18" rims with 18 pounds as light
weighted. But other 18s with around 24 pounds are also
classified as light wighted.
Just wondering does anyone know how light is
light weight for 18s??:roll:
my Prodrive gc014i 18" rim weights 17.8 pounds/each.
generally 18" rims lighter than 20 pounds will be qualified as light weighted rims.

SSR, Rays...these two Japanese brands specalize in "extremely light" forged rims, but very rare of these rims fit saab.:roll:

·
Registered
266 Posts
a little bit off topic.....do these extremely light rims in anyway sacrifice on durability? they are very expensive.....I like SSRs and they are quite ok

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
jackchoo said:
a little bit off topic.....do these extremely light rims in anyway sacrifice on durability? they are very expensive.....I like SSRs and they are quite ok
As long as they are forged you will be fine. The process makes the wheels much stronger because the metal is never melted down and remains one solid piece. They use a solid piece of aluminum and press it into the mold to form the wheels. SSR's are actually what's considered semi-forged and not a fully forged wheel, but nevertheless they are great wheels and I regret selling mine off my other car. The casting process in comparison just takes pieces of aluminum and melts it down. This is usually how the $120-$150 a piece rims are made. They are very heavy to make up for the reduced strength they have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts