SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello chaps: I'm a long-time member, having a lot of experience with C900 hatchbacks and currently a 3-door '94 900SET. I'm looking at a '04 9-5 Aero 5-spd. How do these cars do in the snow? My long driveway is at a slight incline, but we get so few snow events here, I'm just wondering if dedicated snow tires are a must, or if they get on fairly well without? What are your experiences?

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
My LPT has no trouble in the snow and I run all season tires and do not have TSC. See what kind of tires the Aero has... if they are summer then get as set of snows on steel wheels for when the white stuff comes down.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I have an '00 Aero 5-speed with All-Seasons and it is a great snow car. Accelerating can be a problem as any non-awd car if you spin the tires. If I had the means, I would personally go with a summer and winter set as chains do not fit on an Aero if you are required to have traction devices.

Since I do not have winter dedicated tires, I run something called "AutoSocks" that can be found in the UK, and have to be shipped to the US. I used them last year and I must say they are absolutely BRILLIANT. I never expected them to work as well as they do, and I feel VERY comfortable running A/S tires on solid ice.

Give it a shot www.autosock.com

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have the exact car you are looking for and just this year I got snow rims and tires. A huge world of difference with snows. I must admit though, the dealer (I bought CPO) had put high performance summer tires on just before I bought it. Had I been thinking, I would have asked for All seasons. So my only experience in snow with my 9-5 was with the high performance tires...which was fine when they were brand new...and limited use, but absolutely worthless a year later.

I would go with Snows. I found a set of brand new rims (aftermarket) and brand new snows and got them mounted and balanced on the car for $600 total! Well worth it. I prefer it over our 4x4 Ram.

G

·
I recently put all-season Yokohama YK520 tires on mine and am impressed with their performance in snow. One morning there was at least 10in/25cm of fresh snow in my (long) driveway and the car went through without any problem. It helped using the Winter mode on the transmission but it also went through without it.

Very impressed with the 9-5 in snow so far.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I just got a brand new set of Bridgestone Potenzas W-rated All Season tyres. Best in category on Tire Rack. Could not afford them, but discount tire screwed up and ordered the wrong size ContiExtremes, so free upgrade:cheesy:

Car is decent in the snow. Without Snow tyres it is really hard to say for sure. You REALLY do need snow tyres.

I know living in the PNW can bring some terrible road conditions in terms of that really heavy slippery snow, the stuff East Coasters do not understand. I went driving in the interior of BC and my 9-5 stuck to everything. I come back to the coast and we get an inch of that wet icy stuff and the car goes all over the place.

My C900 was a bit better for snow driving because it had more narrow tyres, but you can do that on a 9-5 too.

The C900 has better front ground clearance and a far more flexible front spoiler which on my 99-5 got me stuck twice because it could not clear the soccerball sized ice chunks very well.

All in all, did better than the SUV's that left the road. The drive back was a total Blizzard with -10C and heavy heavy snow, everyone just followed the snowplow and I pulled out to pass, no issues.:D

The TCS is very annoying if you are going on a long mountain climb and slipping a bit, it just keep on dragging the brakes. You have to learn how to drive with it correctly. The Winter mode works good too because it locks the transmission in 3rd gear (as you know with you GM900) and makes things a little easier.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My car does very well in the snow. I run the best Winter tires I can get (Dunlop Winter Sport M3). I also believe that one needs to know how to drive in snow and ice. Tires help but they cannot make up for poor driving skills. I grew up driving in Alaska and that experience helps a lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In a word- brilliant!

My car is the automatic with the optional manual flappy-paddles and electronic clutch. I'm running 17" Michelin Pilot Sport Exaltos A/S. For going up hills that are particularly slippy, nasty and full of drivers who have forgotten their winter driving skills due to a snowstorm (which happened last Monday morning), I simply switch off the TCS, put it in manual mode (2nd gear), and NEVER brake to stop or correct the car if it goes off from straight. In fact, the most unfortunate part of my journey to work that day was the fact that there happens to be a light halfway up the hill-on its steepest part and someone's pickup truck couldn't make it up the hill. While stopped, I kept it at about 1500 RPMs, and no foot on the brake.

9-5s have boat loads of torque, so when you need to move forward in a situation like that, you don't have to mash it to get it to go forward (think torque steer and you'll understand why). The TCS will definately neuter your torque and you'll be left looking like all the other cars crawling along up a hill.

On the flat, I just run it as I normally would in the dry, just in "Winter" mode.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
no problem in the snow at all. this is the first car i've run without snow tires.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Started with cheap low-tread all-season tires that came with the car... poor winter performance. Accelerating uphill was embarassing as I got passed by K-cars while my wheels spun. Winter mode was no help.

Following year I got stuck on the first snow with my summer tires on. VERY scary... car slid down the hill I lived on. Went to turn it around and take the bus to work, and I could only get it back up the hill by taking a run at it.

Put the snow tires on that night. I had bought a new set of snows for my stock 16's, and bought a set of Aero 17's for new summer tires. WOW!! With any decent all-season or winter tire, this car has no issues. It can race through snow better than any car I have driven so far.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My car was okay in snow with all seasons up to maybe 5cm of snow/slush. Anything beyond that and traction gets embarrassing.

I choose to run my 9-5 on a dedicated set of winter tires (Pirelli Winter Carvings). With them on and winter mode engaged the 9-5 becomes a tank. I'm the only "car" in my neighbourhood to recently drive in and out on unplowed roads with deep snow. I never got stuck, unlike my neighbours who had problems getting in and out in an AWD vehicle with all-seasons.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Winter tyres are generally better than summer tyres at <+7C regardless of snow

The braking distance at +5C of a car fitted with winter tyres is almost 1 car length less than a vehicle with summer tyres!

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Sweden is renowned for heavy snow winters so it would come as a surprise if the 9-5 was poor in snowy conditions. I recall a US member here pulling out a stuck 4x4 with his 9-5 a couple of years back. I'd love to have seen the 4x4 owners face! ;oops:

Of course the car is only as good as the skill of the driver, so a set of dedicated snow tires on narrow rims will be a major advantage over a set of 225/45 profile performance tires.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Kermit said:
Of course the car is only as good as the skill of the driver, so ............
We're doomed Captain.........doomed :eek:

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
depending on the hills and snow where you live as well as the tires, it may or may not be good in snow. my mother's 02 aero has sport tires on the 17" wheels which can do snow, but it's scary. scary enough that stopping at any intersection at the top of a hill (particularly one where the snow is packed or turned to ice) will lead to the car sliding backwards. we have a second set of wheels with winter tires and it's great for the snow! turn the seats up all the way, drive through the snow, and the car is more like a fortress! :cheesy:

·
Registered
610 Posts
With dedicated 16" snows mine goes pretty good in the snow as long as you are reasonable. Obviously overpowering the whole traction thing is possible with power, but if driven smart, the car can take it. Plus, it is quite fun when the back end kicks out around corners (on purpose obviously) :lol:

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
StX221 said:
Plus, it is quite fun when the back end kicks out around corners (on purpose obviously) :lol:

Then you get the "!" Warning.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
saabchilten said:
depending on the hills and snow where you live as well as the tires, it may or may not be good in snow. my mother's 02 aero has sport tires on the 17" wheels which can do snow, but it's scary. scary enough that stopping at any intersection at the top of a hill (particularly one where the snow is packed or turned to ice) will lead to the car sliding backwards. we have a second set of wheels with winter tires and it's great for the snow! turn the seats up all the way, drive through the snow, and the car is more like a fortress! :cheesy:

I think the key component to sliding downhill are the "sport tires." it's worth a few hundred bucks to get some steel wheels or knock-offs and shod them with snows or all-seasons. Much more confidence inspiring and also much safer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.