SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to drain my radiator so had to remove the plastic undertray behind the bumper, a few of the bolts were rusted solid so I fixed it back as best I could and went to buy some vice grips today to try and sort them out. On the way back I was doing about 90 :)nono; I know) when there was a bang followed by a juddering, I almost soiled myself thinking the transmission had gone, but in the rearview mirror I could see the plastic tray sitting in the road. When I went back to retrieve it I can see it's split it 2 pieces, do I need to get a new one, given that 9000 aren't too plentiful in scrap yards around here. Aerodynamically does it serve much purpose ?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Your engine may run cooler:). You will also get more dirt and grime accumulated in the engine compartment.I'd replace it.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
When my car was newer Saab City in London failed to tighten same, mine fell off as I first hit full boost on the German border, at approx 140mph, nearly caused me to soil myself.

While not absolutely required, the sheild does control the airflow past the rads and under the car; you may suffer more wind resistence/worse fuel mileage with less effective cooling. Less serious might be extra mud/splash up on engine parts.

They are a PIA to remove, but I would try to find a second hand one. They must be common in the UK. Next time draining the radiator, just pull the hose from the water pump to the bottom of the radiator, MUCH easier and faster...

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
They are quite important as it forced the air from the front of the car thru the intercooler and radiator, with out it in place the air will take the easier path which will be down in front of the intercooler and under the engine.
I have a spare but check out the Saab indie guy who has a bungalow/garage on the one of the back roads from Cork airport heading to Kinsale.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marrk said:
Saab indie guy who has a bungalow/garage on the one of the back roads from Cork airport heading to Kinsale.
I know the guy you mean, I'll give him a try thanks :D

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
If your winters are anything like ours then it is very important.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts