SaabCentral Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently while driving in the Florida keys, in my 92 C900 NA,heading to my old home in Key West I was crossing the seven mile bridge,which is halfway between Key Largo and Key West.I thought since I had just replaced plugs and plug wires,plus just bought a new set of Goodyear assurance 60,000 mile tires,I would see what my baby can do.I have driven a lot on the interstate and turnpike at 80 to 85 mph,just to keep from getting run over.It was the middle of the week,hardly any traffic,so I put the pedal to the medal.I was up to 105mph easily,then I backed off.It seemed to have a lot of oomph left,but I have never redlined the car,and didn't want to then.I was curious what the top speed might be in a well tuned NA C900.How fast has anyone else driven at top speed?(I found out a few days later that the right front wheel bearing was bad;oops: ).

·
Registered
429 Posts
Another top speed thread...

210km/h (130mph) in an 89' 900i :cool:

I'm in the middle of installing my whaletail so my top speed is going to drop once I've done it I assume.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i have yet to really even drive a NA...

i've buried the speedo on my '92 5sp. turbo. the tachometer was at around 5200 when the speedometer stopped moving. i didnt back off the gas until i was just over 5700 rpm. i did not even see the flashing lights on the tops of the 2 cruisers heading southbound on the freeway until after i had turned around and had about 14 lanes and a center divider between them and me...

granted, that car would have never gone that fast if it was not for the long long downhill i was on. i had done zero modifications to the car at that point, was on bad shocks and balding tires.

i think the gearing/redline combination would give me a top speed around 150, i probably had her going around 145 :lol:

isnt the gearing on a NA a bit shorter than what is found in a turbo car's transmission?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I hate to be a pissy pants. But this thread can't go anywhere but bad.

The theoretical top speed of the cars according to the gearing is about 150mph. Most of our cars (5 spds anyway) can attain 120 mph and not a whole lot more. Modification, condition of the car, wind, grade, etc, etc will certainly add or subtract from that 120.

And lets just leave it at that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.