SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1988 900 SPG and I think it might be running to much boost. When I floor it the boost gage goes almost to the end of the red, is this normal? The car runs nice and smooth etc and is very very fast, i'm just not sure if its overboosting. How fast should this car be, i'm guess mine would run a mid to high 13 sec 1/4 mile. The guy I purchased it from said there might be a few mods on the car but everything looks normal to me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
saabguy9-3 said:
Hello, I have a 1988 900 SPG and I think it might be running to much boost. When I floor it the boost gage goes almost to the end of the red, is this normal? The car runs nice and smooth etc and is very very fast, i'm just not sure if its overboosting. How fast should this car be, i'm guess mine would run a mid to high 13 sec 1/4 mile. The guy I purchased it from said there might be a few mods on the car but everything looks normal to me.

Thanks.
No, not really no, sounds likely.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Your boost levels can vary. Stock should only enter a bit into the red on a cold day with high octane gas.

Mods are ok, and it sounds like your car has some. Entering the red is fine as long as you take some precautions:

GEt a device that can detect knock, the protective APC is modified and will not give you the idiot proof protection of adjusting your boost for you. You must be careful, pinging will kill the engine.

Get teh HIGHEST octane possible, always. 94 Octane is best.

A Saab 900 should do the 1/4 in about 20 seconds given that power delivery in 1st and 2nd should be limited to gentle throttle and minimal boost.

Boosting in the low gears will blow up your gearbox quickly. Search "exploded transmission" lol

The 900 is not a drag car at all! You can't drag these cars! It is the wrong car.

You can drive it really fast and hard in the upper gear 3rd-5th, no issues!

Hope this helps

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
woywitka said:
GEt a device that can detect knock, the protective APC is modified and will not give you the idiot proof protection of adjusting your boost for you. You must be careful, pinging will kill the engine.
Doing something like the 900aero APC mod does not reduce knock detection/reaction at all.

A *stock* c900t is supposed to do a 16-17 second quarter, depending on year/model/driver

Saabguy, do you know if your apc system is still hooked up? Find the wastegate actuator, it's bolted to a bracket on the turbo. It shoud have a vacuum tube going to a brown and tan solenoid on top of the radiator, which should have two more hoses coming off of it. If this stuff is not intact, or there is some sort of additional boost controller on there, I might suggest refitting the APC.

For info/FAQ on the APC system, visit the apc forum in the forums section of www.900aero.com, it is a pretty good one.

Also, post pics! Not just of the car, if you post some of the engine we may be able to see what's been done to it. It may just be an APC mod, which would give the results you described.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Why do you want fast, how are you supposed to, you know, if you are going already 100 km/h :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
saabguy9-3 said:
The guy I purchased it from said there might be a few mods on the car but everything looks normal to me.
First off, it would be helpful to get more info from "the guy" about what might have been done to the car. To answer your question directly, full boost on a properly tuned stock SPG should stop at the line between the yellow/red.

Secondly, you should take it to a saab 'expert' and have them go through the car to tell you what has been done. Will make it far easier if you have to do any troubleshooting down the road.

Grats on your car, btw, sounds like fun. :)

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Check to make sure that youre wastegate is hooked up and the vaccuum hose is not torn...

Is there any boost taper at all??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BlammoSPG said:
First off, it would be helpful to get more info from "the guy" about what might have been done to the car. To answer your question directly, full boost on a properly tuned stock SPG should stop at the line between the yellow/red.

Secondly, you should take it to a saab 'expert' and have them go through the car to tell you what has been done. Will make it far easier if you have to do any troubleshooting down the road.

Grats on your car, btw, sounds like fun. :)
Well they guy I purchased the car from really didn't know much about cars. he just used it as a daily driver for a while. All of the vac lines are pretty new and are in good shape. Everything including the wastgate appears to be connected also. One thing I do see is that there is an aftermarket fan connected to the intercooler that always runs when the engine is running. There is also a cone air filter. But for the most part the boost goes all the way to the end of the red and stays there and sometimes just drops off a little. I also noticed that the better grade of gas I use the higher the boost goes. Oh well i'm not going to complain its a great car for the $550 bucks I paid for it and everything seems to work well. I just don't want to blow it up. One thing that is did just recently start doing is that there is something draining the battier when the car sits for a few hours :confused:.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
saabguy9-3 said:
Well they guy I purchased the car from really didn't know much about cars. he just used it as a daily driver for a while. All of the vac lines are pretty new and are in good shape. Everything including the wastgate appears to be connected also. One thing I do see is that there is an aftermarket fan connected to the intercooler that always runs when the engine is running. There is also a cone air filter. But for the most part the boost goes all the way to the end of the red and stays there and sometimes just drops off a little. I also noticed that the better grade of gas I use the higher the boost goes. Oh well i'm not going to complain its a great car for the $550 bucks I paid for it and everything seems to work well. I just don't want to blow it up. One thing that is did just recently start doing is that there is something draining the battier when the car sits for a few hours :confused:.
Sounds like someone did an APC mod and tuned it pretty well - if you're really worried, check the inside of the APC box, and make sure that the glue stuff on the K potentiometer is untouched, if that's the case you have full knock protection and the boost will pull back if there is any detonation. It sounds like it's working, though, because of the gas thing - the better grade of gas is able to withstand knock better, thereby increasing the amount of boost the APC will let run. The fan is to help with heatsoak on the IC.

Search for threads on electric drains, basically the easy way to start narrowing it is to have the car off, check the amperage draw, and pull fuses till you find the one that makes it go down.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
A stock SPG is suprisingly fast. Takes most people by suprise!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Calbob said:
clicky

That is what you need to shoot for, until then, just drive safely.

338 HP

That is a 13 second car. Yours probably isn't.

No offence,
To be honest I think my car has got to be very close to that, I think I have an LSD so i dont think mine would burn out as much, but i'm sure it pulls just as hard. I'll see if I can post some video later today.

·
Registered
165 Posts
saabguy9-3 said:
To be honest I think my car has got to be very close to that, I think I have an LSD so i dont think mine would burn out as much, but i'm sure it pulls just as hard. I'll see if I can post some video later today.
You can see that the both front wheels are smoking. That car does have an LSD and it still burns tires with third gear. :) In the quarter mile strip it doesn't actually burn out too much.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts