SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Greetings:

I just picked up some Mobil 1 "high mileaged" Fully synthetic 10w-30 oil (5 qts/Walmart), and 2 Purolator Premium Plus oil filters. How durable are these seals when it comes to synthetic oils. Do they leak easily, and or are they very prone to leaking when it comes to the general use of synthetic oils? I have used synthetic oils in the past on my Volvos for years even with extremely high miles and never developed any leaks, does Saab 900 turbos share the same similarities? Or would I just be better off getting say a good quality Havoline 5W-30 and call it a day (very tempted), and changed it every 4500-5000 miles. The car has been with the previous owner since it was new (well cared for/174,000 plus original miles), however I am just unaware as to what type of oil was used? My overall concern is that it is a turbo engine, and I am just questioning whether or not Havoline 5w-30 and or 10w-30 is capable of dealing with the turbo versus Mobil 1 high mileaged synthetic 10w-30? Will havoline shear too much? I have used Havoline/Chevron for years, but never in a turbo, what say you? I don't mean to rehash the subject, I just want the best and or sufficient protection with minimal complications, if any. Thanks in Advance!

Best Regards!

·
Registered
888 Posts
All saab engines seem to leak a little bit. My 87 turbo always leaks at the bottom (right) side of the head gasket, and the turbo pipes seem to leak too. I have replaced the turbo line seals several times, but the leak never seems to stop. I have never had to add oil between oil changes (every 3,000 miles) and I have always used mobil 1 10W30.

Being a turbo, I would only use synthetic (mobil 1). The turbo impeller spins at speeds upwards of 100,000 rpm, sometimes while glowing red hot. This impeller runs on a thin film of oil. Conventional oils are more likely to "coke" on the impeller and bearings, leaving sharp abrisive burned oil that will wear the turbo out prematurely. I believe Mobil 1, good filters (which you already have) letting the engine idle for at least 30 seconds (longer after harder driving) and changing the oil every 3,000-3,750 miles you wil be fine for many years and many thousands of miles.
When you figure the cost of rebuilding an engine and replacing the turbo with the extra 15-20 bucks a synthetic oil change costs, you realize it is money well spent for good peace of mind. That's just my two cents.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
dasander said:
All saab engines seem to leak a little bit. My 87 turbo always leaks at the bottom (right) side of the head gasket, and the turbo pipes seem to leak too. I have replaced the turbo line seals several times, but the leak never seems to stop. I have never had to add oil between oil changes (every 3,000 miles) and I have always used mobil 1 10W30.

Being a turbo, I would only use synthetic (mobil 1). The turbo impeller spins at speeds upwards of 100,000 rpm, sometimes while glowing red hot. This impeller runs on a thin film of oil. Conventional oils are more likely to "coke" on the impeller and bearings, leaving sharp abrisive burned oil that will wear the turbo out prematurely. I believe Mobil 1, good filters (which you already have) letting the engine idle for at least 30 seconds (longer after harder driving) and changing the oil every 3,000-3,750 miles you wil be fine for many years and many thousands of miles.
When you figure the cost of rebuilding an engine and replacing the turbo with the extra 15-20 bucks a synthetic oil change costs, you realize it is money well spent for good peace of mind. That's just my two cents.
THis is really sound advice and is what I followed for a long time.

On older oil cooled turbos the 3,750miles oil change is critical. On the later versions, not so much. 1988+ saw a water cooled turbo which is much less prone to failure and most will outlive the car.

The Mobil 1 debate is an interesting one. We do not really know if it will make the difference. Peter Gilbert did get 1 million miles out of an 89' 900 SPG with Mobil 1 and 3,000mile oil changes.

The important thing it to change the oil frequently and use a quality filter and I'm sure things will be fine. 10W-30 is the oil suggested for the 900, what I use. Castrol GTX is fine. My convertible has always had Penzoil until recently I switched to Mobil thinking it was better:roll: . Still has the original oil cooled urbo.

I re-sealed a 900 once and it still leaked:lol: . Just part of the design, it keeps the engine bay from rusting so bad. All 900s leak.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've got minor leaks from a few different places, even after changing gaskets/seals. :)

I haven't switched to synthetic because of the leaks, which I hear can get worse with synthetic. Plus I'm a cheapskate. :D

I'm not anti-synthetic, it's proven to be better, but my T8 has been using conventional 10W30 for 186,000 miles with no oil related problems. I change the oil every 3000 miles, along with the filter, as did the previous owner.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys! I have another oil question. I picked up another engine oil cooler from a donor 96 9000CSE. I t was installed sideways pointing up. I would guess that the top cooler line was the return line, and the bottom line was the feed line? On my 91 900 turbo's oil filter housing, there are 2 engine oil cooler lines running out to the cooler. One is on the right and one is on the left. One ultimately runs out to the cooler's original location into the driver's side fender and down to the cooler, the other line sort of passes by the inter-cooler, and then goes down to the cooler. I have since removed my original engine oil cooler for the aforementioned donor cooler. I just want to be sure that I have the lines correct and not crossed? Or does it really matter which way the oil goes? One other forum member, said that they believed that it was one way passage for the oil. I just didn't want to cause back pressure and or any complications for my engine. The tranny cooler is on the passenger's side underneath the bumper, and is leak free and functional. The donor engine oil cooler is an all metal light brass version and labeled "Valeo Saab". It is bigger/heavier than the original. I have placed it just in front on the radiator (bottom) just below the grill. One other thing how much pressure is in these engine oil cooler lines, in terms of general PSI (MODERATE OR HIGH)? Sorry for such a long thesis:cheesy: , but I just wanted to be sure, in addition to this being my first Saab, I really need some experienced long-term/veteran Saab owners, or heck anyone that has owned a Saab longer than me;oops: !

Best Regards!

1991 Saab 900SE turbo 16 valve 2.0 A.T. 174,000 original plus miles (second owner) in excellent condition!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts