SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I am new to the site, and new to SAAB's. I'm 22 (but not into "modded honda civics" and stuff like that anymore), currently in University up here in Canada, and looking to get my second car. My range is about 5-8 grand (Canadian $$), I've always liked the way saab's looked, and my friend's parents had one back when I was in high school and I remember I loved the "get up and go" it had. I was surprised at how cheap you can find some really nice ones, so I started to look more into it, and the more I read the more I want one. My dad is retired, and you could say he's pretty into cars, and I love working on his car with him whenever I can, so I'm actually looking forward to the DIY maintenance work that I would be doing on the car to keep it running in good condition. I wouldn't be looking to put any fancy (or ugly depending on who you are) aftermarket stuff on it, except maybe some rims one day. My best friend whom I've grown up with my whole life is also a mechanic now, and so I actually have access to a full set of mechanic tools and a lift so high mechanic costs are not a problem for me at all.

There's the intro, now into the real stuff. Here is one I am looking at: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2003-Saab-9-3-Linear-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ203082178#

It has 179,000 kms (about 111,000 miles?) - should I be worried about this? From what I've read, as long as it has been well maintained, she should have a lot of life left in her? Does the price seem right to you guys? Any other things I should be worried about/looking for? I am using this Buyers guide as a general reference for when I go look at it/test drive it, is this OK even though it is for the older SAAB's (i think?)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm really loving what I read about these cars and love the way they look. Can't wait to get one, but I don't want to rush into anything.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for any help!!

James

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
MY 2003 wasn't a good year for the 9-3 SS. It was the first of the new style and had quite a few bugs to be ironed out, especially the automatic ones. The 2004 model year is decidedly more reliable. However, most 2003's on the road today probably have the majority of these problems worked out by now.

The car on the link that you posted looks pretty decent, provided the maintenance has been kept up. The price seems pretty low (maybe its just Canada ;)) but if you've got the service history, and the title is clean, I say go for it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
well to give you a price range of what i paid.. mine is exactly like the one in the link you have... but i have OEM xenons, new tires and other things such as new front bearings..and mine was in pretty good shape when i got it like a month ago... mine has 153k miles... its a 2003.. black with that gray interior... but mine also has the full automatic climate control, i have the same radio and 6 disc changer... heated seats and power driver and pass. seat... and i paid 4300$ for mine... but its weird to see the door handles like that... mine are still nice and black...but not sure what causes that, i just needed a new front grill and now the car is great...and love it. i would say offer 6 even and they should take it... and good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went and looked at that one, looks nice and is in good shape. Drove smooth with no noticeable rattling/clanking. Overall I think it's a pretty good deal.

I am going to look at this one tomorrow. It has about 20k less KMs, and comes with some winter tires/rims, as well as all the service records. Might be a better deal but he wants to sell it 'as is'. He claims that the only thing it needs to be certified is an airbag light that is "probably just a ground fault underneath the passenger seat", anyone else had this problem? Relatively easy to fix? Regardless I am going to take it to my mechanic to check out before I buy it, but if everything checks out, I think it might be a better deal than the other one providing I don't have any problems safetying it.

Plus I like the tan interior better;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys - going to look at the one from the most recent post this evening, if everything checks out and it looks good, I'm going to make him an offer, can't wait

1 - 7 of 7 Posts