SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TL;DR: How doe the antenna power get hooked up to do forward & reverse?

Back story: Found a broken antenna mast today. It was still seemed to be running properly, doing its motor run thing.

I was on my way to the u-pull to try to find some fogs, so I picked up an antenna while I was there. It had an apparent good mast but was extended. Since I mostly needed a mast, I bought it anyay.

Got it home, tested it out of car, didn't seem to be working. Opened it up, took the mast out.

Since I was having reception issues (side story), I figured I'd swap the antenna tube too along with the mast. Pulled that, swapped it to my unit.

Put it back together without the mast. I figured should test and perhaps just get the mast in while I had it out of the car. I hooked up a ground. Ran + to the blue/red lead. It hummed and spun the wheel to retract the mast. I swapped the hot wire to the white/black lead and all it did was click. I thought it should run out. So, I went back to the purchased unit, Same thing... ran home with reb/blue hooked up... but would not run out with the white black getting power.

How does this thing work? How do I get it to run in either direction and prove it works?

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
There is an integrated relay.... There is always + from the switched ignition, and - from a local ground. A third wire triggers the integrated relay and causes it to run the motor forwards. Take the trigger away and it runs the motor backwards. So, the two wire connector is switched + and trigger.

·
Registered
18,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah... thanks. Just came up from the garage after some WIS studying following my post. I realized that there was clearly constant power to it with the other line switching. Got it back together, tested in car, and now the mast is all mounted and set. I could see the cable wasn't in prime condition, so I'll order one for the inevitable failure - but this will tie me over for a while.

Meanwhile, on to the humorous part: My radio reception has been poor for a while... even before I stored the car a couple years ago. I'd already checked the radio > antenna connection. I thought I might have an antenna issue. Today when the mast broke I got it to pull in, then disconnected power so it wouldn't be flopping around out there while I was driving. My radio reception was no worse without the antenna going up at all! It was doing nothing to increase reception.

I think it was the tube > mast connection. I've seen problems with those tubes before with East Coast corrosion all up in the top section. I usually have to drill out the ferrule. All good now, pulling in lots of stations. A job worth doing.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
I had that once on a c900 that had lived by the ocean for too long. Took me FOREVER to figure out why reception sucked!

·
Registered
18,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very common in New England for the ferule to seize... but I never caught on to the related reception issue before this. I changed a half dozen masts over the years and only one allowed removal of the ferrule without abusive measures. Two efforts ended in replacement of the aforementioned tube. Many probably had degraded reception that just wasn't so bad that I looked into it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts