SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanted to ask about the feel of the brakes. yesterday when i drove a 900se i want to buy, the brakes felt light. seemed like a little free play (i mean like an inch) and then they would begin to catch. the car would stop soon after i hit that mark, but if i tried to let up, it would start rolling again. maybe i'm just really used to having to push the pedal further in my chevy (and now that i think of how my mother's 9-5 is, i probably am), but is that normal to anyone? just a little concerned cuz the check engine light did come on in the car, but i saw no other potential issue with it. it's really quite nice, especially for its price, so i hope there's nothing wrong with the brakes.

perhaps there could be something setting of the light that isn't an issue at all?

·
Registered
713 Posts
imho you are used to the sh*tty chevy brakes, i personaly HATE chevy brakes because of that very reason they are so spongy its not even funny. my brakes grab around an in down so thats prob reasonable.
Tyler

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll agree they suck. nowhere near as bad as the engine kicking in 5 secs after i get the accelerator to the floor. that scares the living crap out of me every time. :eek: :evil:

but, brake help please. :p by the way, the 9-5 does not have the little bit of freeplay. -shrug- maybe it's just different between the two cars and i'm being more concerned than i should be.

·
Registered
713 Posts
lol i finaly realize why im a saab and ford guy!! :D

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just had an interesting thought (though not about the breaks). could the battery having been disconnected cause some error codes?

·
Registered
713 Posts
generaly it would be vice-versa disconnecting th bat erases them

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm. well, my mother is going to approve the car for me today. she's been through 5 saabs, and i left her a note to make the dealer check error codes. we know a saab master mechanic who will be able to tell us what they mean. hopefully it's something simple like the gas cap (which was an issue in another car we've had). i'll also see what she thinks about the brakes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I find saab brakes to be less grabby (sensitive) than many cars. I can assure you that even if they feel a little weird they will still stop the car. Spending part of the year in Syracuse, NY where there are more stop signs than people I've nearly missed my fair share of them, and the brakes have come to the rescue everytime.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not getting the car. found severe corrosion on the right shock tower. how i missed it to begin with i don't know. the car is completely ****ed and now i'm furious. indy people, never EVER get involved with tom wood. they've tried to rip me off twice. the search continues....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts