SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
04 9-5 Aero 5spd
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I'm trying to install the Genuine Saab short shifter and can't get the damn shifter out of the car..

How I go about pulling the rod out?

Here are photos of my current situation, I did get some play from just pulling but i don't know if I'm supposed to do anything in the engine bay too and can't find anything on how to do this.

Edit: I got the rod to slide in and out but I don't want to keep pulling to not risk breaking anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Saab 9-5 Aero Sedan '98 corolla until my 9-5's engine is finished:'~((
363 Posts
My short shifter from gs came with good directions. I can't remember of off the top if mg head bit it was a pain and took a lot of finagling. Check their website for the directions or email them for a copy

·
Registered
04 9-5 Aero 5spd
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill
My short shifter from gs came with good directions. I can't remember of off the top if mg head bit it was a pain and took a lot of finagling. Check their website for the directions or email them for a copy
Hmm, did you like undo the nut that's under the shifter or did you pull out your shifter with the whole rod?

I tried looking at the instructions but they haven't been very helpful tbh, I can't really get good nut access and idek how to get the shifter selector rod out (hence why i posted lol), but at least it gives me confidence that it's possible!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I undid the nut, which i recalll as being a b$&@h and a half to access. Lots of twisting, turning, persuading to get to it. Was easier doing it back up

·
Registered
363 Posts
It was several years ago, but I'm pretty positive I had to use an open ended wrench 🔧. I want to say 17mm but, honestly, that's a complete guess at this point. I thought it was sizable

·
Registered
04 9-5 Aero 5spd
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was several years ago, but I'm pretty positive I had to use an open ended wrench 🔧. I want to say 17mm but, honestly, that's a complete guess at this point. I thought it was sizable
Okay so I got the nut loose and can't get it out, any idea on how you slid that nut out?

I tried putting it in fourth but the nut gets stuck against this like plastic bracket o_O

·
Registered
260 Posts
Remove the base screws and the screws under the radio, then use a socket with short extension and ratchet to loosen the bolt that goes through the transmission shift rod. There is an access hole on the right side of the shift housing. You will have to move the shift lever and bend down the carpet to get it to align. Lift up the whole assy and pull the bolt out of the fork to the right. Maybe you could use a magnet

·
Registered
04 9-5 Aero 5spd
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update: so i actually managed to get the shifter out and install the short shifter in via the bottom 13mm bolt

it kinda feels awful and i've taken it out and in like 3 times atp so imma call up genuine saab

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sorry I couldn't be more help. Memory is very hazy on it. Like I said I did it years ago - actually 7 1/2 years ago (just did an email search) and I had only done it once. Glad you got things sorted in terms of installation. I know I had replaced shifted bushings at the same time and I had to file down that shifter housing plate thing to make things work properly - mine feels good. Also had the shift linkage assembly replaced in the engine bay about a year or two later

·
Premium Member
5,628 Posts
oh really? any recollection on what size the nut was and did you use a wrench or a socket?
I drilled a hole in the side of the housing and stuck a socket on an extensions straight onto the nut, I believe the GS short shifter instructions recommends that, it makes getting the bolt and nut out super easy.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I drilled a hole in the side of the housing and stuck a socket on an extensions straight onto the nut, I believe the GS short shifter instructions recommends that, it makes getting the bolt and nut out super easy.
Maybe that's what I did as well then..
I really can't remember

1 - 18 of 18 Posts