SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I recently had the radiator explode, so i just replaced it last night. I seem to be having trouble getting all the air out of the system. I'm not sure if the heater hasn't been working for awhile, or if it's just now, but it certainly doesn't work now, so i'm assuming there's a bunch of air somewhere.

This is starting to make me think it might have a blown h/g... which would really ruin my day.

Anyway... how exactly does one go about bleeding these? I've run it with the cap off and squeezed the radiator hoses to try to purge what i could. And then i capped it and drove it around for awhile, then let it cool a little and removed the cap.

What else can i do?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Leave the reservoir cap off, turn the heating to its highest temp setting and allow the engine to run until the cooling fan cuts in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what i've been trying. I still have NO heat whatsoever. It's possible that there was no heat before and i just never noticed cuz it was always hot outside. What else could be the problem? I replaced the heater control valve this summer, however i'm pretty damn sure i hooked it back up correctly. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
190 Posts
A stuck thermostat? Did you replace it?

If your radiator exploded, perhaps your heater core may be on its way out too.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Modification to your method.....

Starting with a cool engine (for safety reasons):
  1. Remove cap on coolant resevoir.
  2. Start engine.
  3. Put heater on full heat.
  4. Run engine until upper radiator hose gets too hot to hold. The cooling fans will start long before the upper hose gets hot.
  5. Turn off engine, top-off coolant, and replace cap on coolant resevoir.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep... that's exactly how i did it... still no heat. I'm thinking the system is purged and the no-heat thing is simply a coincidence.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts