SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my driver side axle and it seems Everytime I take off the sway bar end link they strip. What am I doing wrong ? I'm using a cordless impact and correct size socket and using a 10 mm wrench yo hold the threaded part from spinning.

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Don't use an impact. The links are only mild steel. If rusty, PB blast, off-on-off reverse tap style. Too many years and just snap and toss.

Install similar: torque is just enough to squish the bushing a smidge. IIRC, it's 7#. No power tools.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I got it off/on without issues but the irony of it is I need an intermediate shaft. When I separated the inner joint and cleaned out the cup I saw a very noticeable score mark. This thing might drive a bit worse after I put it back together. I ended up just putting the original shaft back on with some new grease. I am now on the hunt for a intermediate shaft. I avoided taking off the alternator for the voltage regulator but I guess I will be removing it for this part of the adventure. I pulled a used shaft from a 98 900 and the inner boot is a bit different. Mine has 3 indents on the inner cup and the boot matches it. The axle from the 98 is round so I was unable to use it.
Anyone know if 99 -02 9-3's all have th same shaped inner bucket/joint ?
Is removal of the intermediate shaft just remove the alternator bracket and pop out the shaft from the transmission ?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Break them off and put new ones on, they aren't a high dollar item and you'll probably need new ones anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts