SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 2.0 turbo T5, In hot ambient temperatures its a REAL dog to get from 0 to 35/40 but at night or in cooler days, its perfectly fine. This is an auto box :(

Would an intercooler upgrade really improve the initial acceleration? Logically for me, it seems the intercooler would be much better once there's more air flow which doesn't seem to really happen until you're past 50/60mph...

·
Registered
919 Posts
I didnt notice any low end benefit from a viggen IC on my autobox. If you dont have an mbc or mbca i would reccomend either of those for more bite down low.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've been thinking about thaat but it threw a rod bearing about 10k miles ago when I first got it used... I'm a tiny bit concerned about the state of the engine evne though its been pretty perfect so far besides that and a tiny oil leak that went away after I switched to 15w50 m1

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, its an autobox :(

But i will try that, does eeuroparts carry it? and would it actually help me out

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could it be possible my APC booost control valve is busted?

An easy way to test this? My auto almost never gets to red, in fact I don't recall the last time it did.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
If getting that kind of traction/luanch is important to you, change the car; it's just not Saab territory what you're after.

·
Registered
804 Posts
FlyPenFly said:
96 2.0 turbo T5, In hot ambient temperatures its a REAL dog to get from 0 to 35/40 but at night or in cooler days, its perfectly fine. This is an auto box :(

Would an intercooler upgrade really improve the initial acceleration? Logically for me, it seems the intercooler would be much better once there's more air flow which doesn't seem to really happen until you're past 50/60mph...
Here is your culprit. When the Intake Air Temperature is above 140*F from engine bay heat soak, or below 68*F due to very cold weather, the boost is dropped dramatically.

Unfortunately the WIS does not state which line is for which condition, though I assume the upper line is 60 and lower is 20, nor does it state what "normal" boost is for the B204L auto.

However, here is the "normal" boost (at sea level) for the manual. Since the automatic is rated at the same hp/torque, I assume it "normally" runs similar boost:

Hopefully this helps a little.

Adrian~

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ragtopcav said:
If getting that kind of traction/luanch is important to you, change the car; it's just not Saab territory what you're after.
I've been thinking about it! (namely with another SubieSaab 9-2x with GM deals) but really I just want to get the levels I had when I first got the car.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I almost bought an EVO until I found my Viggen. Sometimes I wish I hadn't, but all other times I'm making effective use of third gear ;-)

Maybe that 9-2x will help me through the winter :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts