SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed some of you guys, like Butters has a 9-7x in Sweden but then you go on pretty much and European website, they do not even show it as an option.

What is the process involved in getting one of these? How rare are they? What is the reception of the vehicle over there?

G

·
It's not available in all countries but you can get it in The Netherlands: www.saab97X.nl

Prices start at € 66,490 (including about € 25,000 in taxes) which converts to around US$ 98,000. Yes, that's not a misprint. $98K. Together with very high gas prices and this being not the most fuel efficient vehicle, I think it is safe to say it is pretty rare in Europe.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I paid about USD 50,000 for mine in Sweden.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Butters, how is your 9-7X received in Sweden? I assume they are pretty rare? What kind of comments do you receive, either pro/con. Do the dealers even know what it is? I have tons of questions to ask you!

·
Registered
90 Posts
mikeucr said:
Butters, how is your 9-7X received in Sweden? I assume they are pretty rare? What kind of comments do you receive, either pro/con. Do the dealers even know what it is? I have tons of questions to ask you!
All I've heard are positive comments. People slow down outside my driveway to look at it. I think there are about 50 on the streets here now.

Edit: I am actually not home at the moment, but in Miami, Florida visiting family. Just saw my first 9-7x here in the suburbs yesterday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, the 97 X is a expensive car in Holland all right.....

BUT... all other cars also; for comparison: a Range Rover starts at + 100.000 euros..... a BMW X5 4.2 is not much less.....
A nice VW Passat V6 will cost you at least 50.000 euros....

So the Saab is actually not too bad.

Indeed you can buy the 97 via the dealer but sales are low; only 140 something have been sold so far. I think the problem is that SUV buyers don't think of the 97 and SAAB people are not very happy with it.......

I'm not one of those: I've got a 93 convertible and I've also got a 97X.... It is a rare car and that in my opinion is actually what driving a SAAb is about; being different......
I actually bought it in the US and had it shipped to Holland..... ;)

Only reactions I get: "Wow!!! What a nice car...... Never seen one of those.... Is that a SAAB???? Fantastic!!!!!"

So, no complaints here; very happy with it...... (except for the fuel consumption.... it drinks more than I do....)

BR

Rob

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats interesting feedback guys, thanks. I had heard that SAAB in Europe would only allow so many to be imported...is that true?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Mike,

As far as I know there are no specific Europe directives.

In general we are in the European Union but we are still all independent countries…..

Therefore every single European country has it’s own SAAB importer.

• In the Netherlands the 97x is imported by the SAAB importer; There is no EU version available so they just buy US models and modify them a bit to comply to EU regulations (for instance: add a fog light on the back, change the trailer hitch, kill the daytime running lights, modify the orange lights at the front and add small constant white lights.)
  • In Germany the 97X is not imported via the importer; you can buy it via a SAAB dealer somewhere who buys them in the US and modifies them.
  • It is available in Switzerland
  • Apparently also in Sweden
  • Also available in Hungary
  • For all other countries… I don’t know….

I bought mine in the States since cars are simply a LOT cheaper in the US… I modified it myself.

BR

Rob

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
If I'm not mistaken there is a bit more love for large American style cars in Sweden and therefore I would figure that there is some market for the 97-X.

I met a guy who send old classic American 50s and 60s cars to Sweden for killer profit.

In the Rest of Europe there is less interest in large cars from the excited states.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any one have pictures of a 9-7 in Europe? Also, how does the rear fog light looks and how is it activated? Any other differences? Where do the small white lights get installed. Do Euro owners have any options, accessories, etc. not available in the US?

·
Registered
90 Posts
BCarrara said:
Any one have pictures of a 9-7 in Europe? Also, how does the rear fog light looks and how is it activated? Any other differences? Where do the small white lights get installed. Do Euro owners have any options, accessories, etc. not available in the US?
This is mine on my driveway.

·
Registered
90 Posts
And here's one from Teknikens Värld's test against Volvo XC90

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am assuming you could import the new aero?

I dont know what the conversion to us dollars is, given the fact that dollars are worthless now, but I am assuming the 9-7x is expensive in EU?

·
Registered
90 Posts
mikeucr said:
I am assuming you could import the new aero?

I dont know what the conversion to us dollars is, given the fact that dollars are worthless now, but I am assuming the 9-7x is expensive in EU?
Cars are expensive in Europe. But the 9-7x is actually less expensive than the 9-3 or 9-5 with similar trimmings in Sweden.

Importing the 9-7x aero would be very inexpensive compared to most other SUVs.

I actually think we get the Canadian version. Less things to convert.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Here in Spain, only 3 dealers all over the country sell the 9-7x. Its an option of every dealer if they want to sell it or not. If they decide to sell it, then they should pay the costs of tooling, training and so for selling the car with the official collaboration of Saab/GM Spain. Its about 30000euros.

As I know, the distribution in Europe is done through a dealer in California. And the cars has some minor changes to adopt the EU homologation, as an addition of a rear fog light.

The last year, in the national meeting of the Saab club of Spain, we had the collaboration of one of the Saab dealers that sells the 9-7x and show us one of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts