1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dry:

Wet:

B235R with 127k

Not sure what the tolerances are for these motors, but I think they're alright. Reason I ask is because I'm getting some oil and carbon deposits in cylinder #2, and with numbers like these, I'm starting to think it's something with the head. I did a dry compression test about a year ago, and the numbers were exactly the same.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
you're on the edge as the rule of thumb is that you don't want more than 10% difference between high and low.

240 is really high, I think it might even be higher than a freshly rebuilt engine. I wonder if there was too much oil put in there and causing the high reading?

Also, are these warm or cold?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I put in around 0.75fl.oz. of oil (this is a cajun syringe, no ccs unfortunately) and divided that into 5ths while having a tad left over that I squirt back. Google says 0.75fl.oz. is 1.5tbsp, and the internet says that one tbs per cylinder is around what you want, so it looks like I didn't put in enough if anything. So, could not putting in enough oil cause compression to jump up like that?

The engine was warm to the touch after sitting for about 4 hours before I did the test. It gets to around 100F around here still, so it can take a while to cool down lol.

Should I worry about the wet compression numbers in the first place? Usually, you only do a wet test when a cylinder is reading really low like in the double digits, so I'm not sure if I'm just complicating things by adding variables that aren't really needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts