SaabCentral Forums banner

How do I unpack a 2003 9-3 SE Convertible rear brake?

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  busaboy 
#1 ·
I have replaced the front rotors and brake pads myself without much problems. When I took the rear wheel off my 2003 9-3 SE Convertible, the brake caliper looks a little bit different. It looks like there are pistons on both sides of the rotor instead of normally the piston is on the inside of the caliper.

How do I unpack it? I tried to unscrew 4 screws appear on the caliper. I unscrewed 2 on the outside and everything seems fine. When I unscrew the ones on the inside, brake fluid begins to come out and at that point I tightened the screw back in.

I was not able to get the brake pads out without unpack the caliper. There seems to have two pins running across the caliper that hold the brake pads in place and allow them to slide across the pin. I guess I need to somehow get those two pins out before I can replace the brake pads.

Please provide instructions how I can replace my rear brake pads. If you could provide pictures with instructions that would be great.

#4 ·
I have replaced the front rotors and brake pads myself without much problems. When I took the rear wheel off my 2003 9-3 SE Convertible, the brake caliper looks a little bit different. It looks like there are pistons on both sides of the rotor instead of normally the piston is on the inside of the caliper.

How do I unpack it? I tried to unscrew 4 screws appear on the caliper. I unscrewed 2 on the outside and everything seems fine. When I unscrew the ones on the inside, brake fluid begins to come out and at that point I tightened the screw back in.

I was not able to get the brake pads out without unpack the caliper. There seems to have two pins running across the caliper that hold the brake pads in place and allow them to slide across the pin. I guess I need to somehow get those two pins out before I can replace the brake pads.Absolutely....

Please provide instructions how I can replace my rear brake pads. If you could provide pictures with instructions that would be great. The Haynes manual explains this fairly well, but the pics are nearly useless
Exactly what are we doing and why ?
Replacing worn out pads ?
I think a special tool has to be used to push back or relocate the pistons - some cars are like this.
Replacing a worn rotor ?
Then the caliper mount bolts must be loosened and disengaged from its bracket.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208758

#7 ·
All you need is a pin punch

I was not able to get the brake pads out without unpack the caliper. There seems to have two pins running across the caliper that hold the brake pads in place and allow them to slide across the pin. I guess I need to somehow get those two pins out before I can replace the brake pads.

Please provide instructions how I can replace my rear brake pads. If you could provide pictures with instructions that would be great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.