SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I'm mixing up my terms when I say "console". Here's the info:

Saab 9-3 2001

The "cigarette lighter" (not really a cigarette lighter, it's just a typical cigarette-lighter type plug) in my car has the end of an old phone charger stuck in it. It will NOT come out. I just ordered a replacement for $12 but how do I install it? The guys at the SAAB dealership told me that I indeed have something stuck in there, but that it'll be easier to replace. And they mentioned I "just remove the side panel to get access to it".

So.. uh.. how do I do that? I need a star shaped screwdriver, right? But I only see one screw... I'm thinking there may be some sliding or something into cracks and stuff with some tools.

Anybody?

here's my original post from earlier this year: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94520

The reason why I want to do this now is because I'm leaving on a road trip tomorrow and don't have time to wait until the part is here. I'm actually curious to see if I can't get the object out of the cigarette lighter by removing the lighter and getting a better grip on it. But I have to remove that side panel. If I fail, well, then I'm getting that replacement lighter. No big woop.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Removal of passenger side kick panel.

There are two Torx (star) screws.

One is inside the 'net' and the other is only visible when you open the glover compartment.

Once you get these two out, remove your floor mat and slowly work the panel out... no sudden jerking!

It's not really that difficult.

Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rk93 said:
There are two Torx (star) screws.

One is inside the 'net' and the other is only visible when you open the glover compartment.

Once you get these two out, remove your floor mat and slowly work the panel out... no sudden jerking!

It's not really that difficult.

Good luck.
I managed to get the panel off but wow, I can barely see anything back there.. how do I remove the actual cigarette lighter? Does it come out from the rear? Do I push it out from the front by pushing from the rear? And I tried pulling out the cords... but they don't seem to pull out. Do I have to squeeze something? I can barely get my fingers in there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
earthworm said:
You may have to use this process : http://www.saabcentral.com/%7Emunki/technical/interior/dashboard_insert.htm

It is not hard at all.
From HF buy one of those small LED lights . They are nice and powerful - durable?? - we will have to wait and see..
Interesting... not sure what the LED lights have to do with this. And those photos make it look like it's way more work than I'm willing to do.. plus that dashboard looks completely different than mine. Looks like I may just try to do it with better light tomorrow or something.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Don't worry, you don't need to take the entire dashboard face off. The cigarette lighter socket snaps in from the front, but the light bulb socket is snapped onto the outside of it and keeps it from coming out. Shine a flashlight in there and you will hopefully be able to see how the bulb socket snaps on. Unfortunately it's on the opposite side, because it also shines a little light into the ashtray.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts