SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im buying a trunk lid from a junkyard and we're not sure where the key is. It's a convertible, and I'm changing the lock out with the one from mine. Can i just jam the lock with a screw driver or is there some secret i dont know to get in without a key?

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Doesn't it have the trunk switch in the driver-side door? If the switch is there, ask them to grab a battery pack or get them to bring one of the yard vehicles over and hook up jumper cables. Hopefully it'll allow the trunk to pop. Otherwise, maybe remove the back seat or something? Another thing you can try is looking in the glove box, in the visor, under the floor mats or seats and see if the key is in it somewhere.

Don't try and pop it with a screw driver as you'll damage the metal paneling. Other option would be to VERY carefully drill out the center section of the lock. Hopefully you can get it's guts out and then open with a screw driver. Even though the trunks are electrically opened (at least my 9-3 is) when a battery is hooked up, they revert to manual locks when the battery is dead or removed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they cut all the wires when they pulled the engine. The passenger side brake light is removed and i was kind of hopeing my arm would fit through but tha twas no luck.

I'm tempted to buy the whole body on the thing. same car i have, except its a 96, and it looks amazing. Rather sad to see it in a junkyard. :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't know about the convertibles, but my guess would to be to pull down the back seat, or the ski pass through and yank on the glow in the dark kid trapped in the trunk handle. should open without power.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Seats dont go down in the back of a very for trunk access I imagine?

Try cutting an arm sized hole in the trunk lid and drop a stick of dynamite in there maybe?

Calling a locksmith would probably be the best way, maybe only practical way. I think locksmiths will just read the vin and cut a key, they did that with my old civic. Hmm no wonder why people steal old civics so often...

Perhaps research how to pick locks and keep trying until you get it! It's like you get to learn a new skill and get a reward at the end, plus now you can open other people's trunks and be able to get any car part you need!!

Genius! Ok sorry. Too much caffeine...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Getting into the trunk of an un-powered vert can be pretty tough.

The back of the rear seat needs a key to be unlocked and folded forward, the lid needs a key to be unlocked at opened.

A couple options:

If you're really lucky, the rear seat is unlocked!

Else -- Destroy the rear seat upholstery to get to the cables that operate the catches inside the seat.

There's a small pass through that gets to the trunk you can half crawl through and get to the inside of the trunk lid, remove the trim at the rear of the lid and then manually trip the op-rod to unlock the lid.

Or:

Destroy the right rear tail light, reach in and by feel, it's again remove the the trim at the rear of the lid and then manually trip the op-rod to unlock the lid.

·
Registered
248 Posts
if you don't have the key, you may as well drill the lock out, but i don't know how much else has to be destroyed before you can actually get inside.

still, without a key, the lock is not as valuable as the rear seats. unless they're already torn up.

also i don't believe there is a kid-in-the-trunk handle to reach for, i don't see one in mine. the '97 is just too old for that.

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
Nope, no handle in the NG900 to pull, only the 9-3.

Find one that's open, like your own, open up the trim panel, and study the lock mechanism. I don't think you can get to the latch through that seat access since it's so small in a vert, so it's probably going to be through the smashed light technique. FYI - your key might pull down the seat, but like I said, I don't think you can reach the latch. So, back at home, remove the preferred rear light properly, then perfect your technique so you can do it blindfolded. Head to the junkyard, do your magic.

Only other choices I see:

1. study the wiring diagram so that you know which wires go to the truck lock and where they are located. You need the "final" wires, not the ones that go from the door to the DICE since those will be inoperative with the harness cut. You need the wires that power the trunk latch to open. It might be a grounding switch, but I'd guess without checking that they send power to the solenoid and that the other side is grounded in the truck area.

2. Rip the rear of the roof open and go in through the bag opening (huge, but you have to get in there and it will not be easy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im gonna try to find the wires first, didnt think of that. If not i think i might try to "convince" the rear seat to go down. I could easily crawl through that hole.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Try a different key in the back seat.

You need a key to put the rear seat down, but it's not really keyed to the car. I can usually try two or three keys that don't fit the car and get one to work, then you can fold the back seat down and open the trunk from inside.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would imagine that the bottom of the trunk can be sacrifices to get to the inside of the trunk.

Cutting, ripping or tearing on the spare tire well will allow you to get your arm or head inside the trunk, and you can then work your way to the trunk lid itself.

Of course, this path is no good if there's a dead body or a live rattlesnake in the trunk...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
its a NG900 96', im gonna go down monday morning, try different keys for the back seat, and then try the wires. If i can get the back seat down i could definitely crawl through that opening, Gonna go examine mine again after im done typing. This is just a side project untill my suspension gets in, dampers on back order.

Theres a black interior im gonna get too. $75 for the trunk lid, $100 for 2 black seats and a black carpet. Not to sure how the carpets going to fit since the car im getting it froms not a vert but i mean sometimes you gotta make stuff work. I think its a 4 door not positive though but im gonna try to get as many interior panels i can from it. Black the interior right up. ;ol;

I'm really tempted to strip all the exterior panels off this car. I'm definitely taking the front/rear bumpers in a few weeks, but i just cant believe how beautiful of condition this cars in for sitting in a junk yard. I swear i havent seen a single scratch on it.

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
This is just a side project untill my suspension gets in, dampers on back order.
If those are Koni's you are waiting for, you can order direct from their site at sale prices last I checked. If the sale is over, or if it's some other brand, see if importrp.com can get them for you. They did some good work for me in that regard a while back. Call on the phone if you need that kind of help.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If those are Koni's you are waiting for, you can order direct from their site at sale prices last I checked. If the sale is over, or if it's some other brand, see if importrp.com can get them for you. They did some good work for me in that regard a while back. Call on the phone if you need that kind of help.
I just ordered them from GS. Full sport suspension, control arms, polly bushings and some random stuff.

Ordered the polly bushings from eeuroparts for the stanchion arm. Has anyone tried those out at all?

·
Registered
18,942 Posts
I just ordered them from GS. Full sport suspension, control arms, polly bushings and some random stuff.

Ordered the polly bushings from eeuroparts for the stanchion arm. Has anyone tried those out at all?
I like the parts GS makes... for other items, if they don't have it in stock, delivery performance varies greatly. YMMV.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I double checked the back seat to make sure it was locked, which it was. I tried my key and heard no click or anything, gave the seat two good pulls and it opened up. Was able to crawl through that little opening and get the trunk unlatched. Was a good day at the junk yard aswell. Found 3 more saabs i didnt see there before. Got trunk lid, brake light, pair stanchion arms, straight through intercooler with hoses, radio, shift knob, black dash trim and glove box, antenna, and 2 clear side markers for $240. Gonna go back for the 2 black front seats and carpet in a couple weeks, got the one seat out but ran out of time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I double checked the back seat to make sure it was locked, which it was. I tried my key and heard no click or anything, gave the seat two good pulls and it opened up. Was able to crawl through that little opening and get the trunk unlatched. Was a good day at the junk yard aswell. Found 3 more saabs i didnt see there before. Got trunk lid, brake light, pair stanchion arms, straight through intercooler with hoses, radio, shift knob, black dash trim and glove box, antenna, and 2 clear side markers for $240. Gonna go back for the 2 black front seats and carpet in a couple weeks, got the one seat out but ran out of time.
Jeez, good find. Wish our salvage yards would let people out in the yard again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts