SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting surging and poor idle that is now causing stalling. The surging can happen while parked in my driveway or at 70mph on the highway. Cruise control on level ground evens out the surging after a few minutes. Acceleration, especially at WOT, is jerky. Related threads here say it's likely the throttle body.

I pulled the throttle body last night and it was really clean. I cleaned it anyway and reinstalled. There was no change in driveability after this, if anything it seems to be getting worse. I've included photos of my throttle body from BEFORE I cleaned it to show the lack of gunk.

I have a new DIC, CPS, plugs, fuel filter, brand new turbo, new intake pipe to the throttle body, new oil, new silicone vacuum hoses. I cleaned the air filter and MAF. This problem has existed for two tanks of gas from separate gas stations and I put in a bottle of injector cleaner to the previous tank. There are no OBD codes or check engine lights.

So how do I test the throttle body, or can I? I'm not really in the mood to spend $200 on a remanufactured TB if it isn't the cause of my problems. Does it even sound like my problem is the throttle body or could it be something else?

I'm really at the end of my rope here, I just spent $2k last week on this car for a new turbo + other ailments, and now this. The surging and idle problem was beginning before the turbo failed, but it's getting worse with this new addition of actual stalling at lights and in parking lots.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. I got under the black cover when I was cleaning, but I didn't go so far as to start taking things apart under there. Sounds like a project for this weekend.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
saabcog said:
Interesting. I got under the black cover when I was cleaning, but I didn't go so far as to start taking things apart under there. Sounds like a project for this weekend.
I'd love to see the pictures of this repaired...The other fellas mentioned using high temp hot glue and tape....

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Cheers to all the brave DIYer's out there. I was thinking of doing it but still need more self encouragement. :confused:

It think Masteryong did it on his previous saab and Sector950.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got down to the wires and the glue gun is heating up. There was one casualty, don't ask how, I tore my pants and gave myself a huge bruise while unscrewing the four bolts that hold on the copper coil.

My inside thigh feels like it has the worst sunburn of my life. Plus I know my wife is going to kill me when she gets home because it was just yesterday that she got on me about wearing my business clothing while working on the car and now I've torn my slacks. Pictures, including my injury, to come.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
hiros said:
Cheers to all the brave DIYer's out there.
As I said earlier, with the self hazards, we are still out there doing it again and again.

Everytime I did a DIY, my wife complains, because of the mess I left and the additional laundry.:cheesy:

Take care of the thigh Saabcog.;)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I put everything back together, started the car, and no luck. I'm sure I kept all the wires apart but the idle is the same up and down as it was before. I didn't even bother to drive it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So does this mean my throttle body is FUBAR or that my surging/stalling is because of another issue? Is there anything else that has these symptoms. The wires inside the throttle body were falling apart and every thread about surging seems to end with the throttle body being the broken part.

ETA: just ordered a new TB. I'm tired of the car not working right, I've got a bloody tissue glued to my thigh, I don't even know how I'm going to sleep tonight with this thing oozing, and so I just what I should have done long ago and got the part I need. By the way, the wife said she never did like these pants when she saw the hole in them.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
saabcog said:
So does this mean my throttle body is FUBAR or that my surging/stalling is because of another issue? Is there anything else that has these symptoms. The wires inside the throttle body were falling apart and every thread about surging seems to end with the throttle body being the broken part.

ETA: just ordered a new TB. I'm tired of the car not working right, I've got a bloody tissue glued to my thigh, I don't even know how I'm going to sleep tonight with this thing oozing, and so I just what I should have done long ago and got the part I need. By the way, the wife said she never did like these pants when she saw the hole in them.
Bummer about the TB man....

I could have done without the picture of the injury though....That's what you get when you ask for pics I guess....

Hey - At least the wifey showed some pity - Even if the Saab Gods didn't....

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just did this myself this weekend. my idle problem was only minor but noticeable. I thought i would try out liquid electrical tape and see how it holds up. I am not sure what will happen as it didn't state what temperatures it would work in. the repair was the same as hot glue, only no burns, and was brushed on while keeping flexibility when dry. hopefully it will hold up to temperatures. my drive so far has been full of smooth idle.
so the repair itself does work and beats minimum $200 on a new tb. it is definitely a small area to work with

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Ben Young said:
I just did this myself this weekend. my idle problem was only minor but noticeable. I thought i would try out liquid electrical tape and see how it holds up. I am not sure what will happen as it didn't state what temperatures it would work in. the repair was the same as hot glue, only no burns, and was brushed on while keeping flexibility when dry. hopefully it will hold up to temperatures. my drive so far has been full of smooth idle.
so the repair itself does work and beats minimum $200 on a new tb. it is definitely a small area to work with
Awesome! :cool:

could you post up a link to that liquid electrical tape?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just replaced my throttle body tonight. It did help the surging some, the car isn't revving aggressively at idle now, but the fluctuations are still there and it seems there is a lack of turbo power during acceleration and WOT. A few things:

The turbo is brand new and had just been installed last week, did the shop need to adjust anything and maybe forgot (wastegate for example)?

Does the ECU need to learn the new throttle body? I started the car after I installed the new TB and the RPM went wild for a moment, as if the TB wasn't the cause of my problems, but quickly settled down and idled smoothly. I let it sit there for a moment and then went for a test drive. Everything was ok until I got out of the neighborhood and could really hit the gas. That was when there was some jerkiness and a lack of acceleration. The car did a lot better job of running than it did before the TB was replaced, but it's still not the same as it was before the turbo went out.

Any ideas.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just flashed the ECU to stock then back to my BSR Stage 1 again and 90% of my problems now seem to be gone. Took it for a test drive and it really didn't act up, but I don't trust it. I'll drive it to work tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
My money is that the dealer messed up your MAF in some way! (Maybe they didn't plug it back in? :eek: )

saabcog, violent surging idle like you describe will also occur when the delivery pipe is removed from the throttle body. This happens, I believe, because the MAF isn't getting the correct air readings (too little air) and the engine starts to die from running too lean, but then catches it's self by opening the throttle.

Try checking and making sure all connections after the MAF to the throttle body are on tight and in good shape. Also, purchase some MAF cleaner and give it a bath, could fix the problem. (Oiled filters will cause MAF's to get really dirty and start acting up.) If that doesn't solve the problem, see if you can't get someone to let you borrow their MAF real quick to see if you need a new one before you just go out and buy one.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
SectorNine50 said:
My money is that the dealer messed up your MAF in some way! (Maybe they didn't plug it back in? :eek: )

saabcog, violent surging idle like you describe will also occur when the delivery pipe is removed from the throttle body. This happens, I believe, because the MAF isn't getting the correct air readings (too little air) and the engine starts to die from running too lean, but then catches it's self by opening the throttle.

Try checking and making sure all connections after the MAF to the throttle body are on tight and in good shape. Also, purchase some MAF cleaner and give it a bath, could fix the problem. (Oiled filters will cause MAF's to get really dirty and start acting up.) If that doesn't solve the problem, see if you can't get someone to let you borrow their MAF real quick to see if you need a new one before you just go out and buy one.
Will do and I'll tell you how it goes.

thank you.

ETA: Just ordered a new MAF from GenuineSaab, should be here in no time.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
1 - 20 of 146 Posts