SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Have a UK 2004 9-3 which has cigarette lighter style 12V sockets in front centre armrest and at rear but they are only live with the engine running or with the ignition in position II. They don't even stay on when the ignition is in position I. :cry:

Just spoken to my local dealer who advised that this is not a programmable item, and that they would need to run a new permanently live fused wire to the socket to achieve what I want - which seems a bit extreme!!

I am guessing that the cigratte lighter / 12v sockets are controlled by a relay somewhere but don't know which one and what else the same relay controls.

Anyone done this before or got any ideas how it can be done pls?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It's a battery run-down protection feature. What the dealer said makes perfect sense to me. It's not a programmed option, and the power is controlled by the electrical system. I think the outlet should be on when the key is in the "On" position though.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
astoll said:
Hi All,

Just spoken to my local dealer who advised that this is not a programmable item, and that they would need to run a new permanently live fused wire to the socket to achieve what I want - which seems a bit extreme!!

Andy
This is true. Running a new wire to the socket is the best way. You can also get an adapter that shut the plug when the battery voltage drops below a certain voltage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
maybe tap the power lead to the radio? i would imagine that you could take advantage of the 'feature' of being able to use the radio after removing the key, but cutting power after doors are locked to prevent battery drain.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
jonallan said:
maybe tap the power lead to the radio? i would imagine that you could take advantage of the 'feature' of being able to use the radio after removing the key, but cutting power after doors are locked to prevent battery drain.
There are no radio-controlled power circuits. We've looked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys,

Thanks for the various quick replies. The reason I want to do this is to run a small light from the socket while camping.

With some crafty use of Ohms law, I have calculated that it will take about 14 days of continual use to flatten the battery so not too worried about this - AND you'll be suprised to hear that I had sort of worked out that disconnecting the sockets was a battery flattening prevention measure... Got my granny to teach me this while sucking an egg... :eek:

I also sometimes use a 12v laptop power adapter while sitting working in the car and have to leave the ignition on position II (all warning lights lit) for this to charge my laptop battery. This also has a tiny current but its a pain having to leave the ignition on. I appreciate that SAAB SHOULD have maybe made the sockets work on position I, but it doesn't..

Would really love to hear from anyone who has found a relay marked Cigarette Lighter or done something similar???

ps I Don't need any tips on camping, connecting camping lights, running down your gas bottle etc etc!!

Cheers,

Andy :p

·
Registered
335 Posts
maybe a dumb idea - but well..i'll give it a try

Hi!

Maybe this is an dumb idea but what about the Handsfree-connector from the TEL1 ???

Does'n it has a 12v switched and permanent?

See this thread and the different diagramms. espacialy the diagram posted by
Deli-Llama near the end of page 1.

Thread:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51444&highlight=tel1+wiring

Or have a look on the second page and the posting from heatvent.

It says that the TEL1 has on pin 11/red Constant power and on pin 10/Red/Blue Key controlled (switched) power.

So maybe you can tap in there and take the power from the TEL1 connector?!

Just an Idea...I don't know what fuse is behind that and what it is capabell of handling. But maybe it's a try. ;)

So...no guarantes and good luck.

As I said before: It's just an (mabye dumb) idea from me.

Have a nice day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts