SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv'e searched but I cannot find what I am looking for. I want to install an aftermarket cd player in my 88 900. I was looking for how to do or a diagram of how to do so...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
If you want the painless approach (bonus: completely reversible), check
crutchfield's website. They sell adaptor harnesses that allows you to plug into a new player into the existing harness without having to cut it. it sure beats the cut-n-splice dance.

I can look up diagrams of the factory radio later on today if you want.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
supremedalek said:
If you want the painless approach (bonus: completely reversible), check
crutchfield's website. They sell adaptor harnesses that allows you to plug into a new player into the existing harness without having to cut it. it sure beats the cut-n-splice dance.

I can look up diagrams of the factory radio later on today if you want.
What constitutes an 'existing harness' though?

I've seen cables which have so-called ISO plugs on them but have not yet understood what they means in terms of our classic 900's. My 89 16V has a factory Alpine radio/cassette unit which I presume has a loom of so sort specific to the Alpine product, and when I wanted to install a new JVC CD/radio unit in my 85 900i last year I had to completely replace all the old wiring so I used male and female insulated spade connectors for each wire coming off the loom so the whole thing is removable if needed.

How far back and what option levels would have 'factory' wiring loom cabling for a sound system and at what point was there any sort of 'standard' used by Saab (or industry-wide and adopted by Saab) that allows plug-and-play type of installation/removal of car sound units in our cars?

Craig.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yellow is constant power, red switched. Black ground. Ground the radio to the ground wire, not the body (noise protection). Check for voltage to be sure with a test light or multimeter.

Gray and white speaker wires for the front, green and purple for rear. Black striped members of each colored pair should all go to the same polarity e.g. (-) or (+). Usually (-)...

Note: If the wires in the dash are different colors than above (honestly I don't know - these are the standards for most aftermarket units and many cars I've worked on), you'll have to either head to crutchfield or do some investigation with a test light, first with the ignition on then with it off. Once you find your power and ground you can figure out speaker wires by hooking up the radio... scientific method helps here

Don't just tape the connections!

They'll fall apart after a few potholes. I recommend crimp connectors for speed, or solder/heat shrink tubing if you want permanent.

Zip tie the bundle of wires together when you're done to keep everything somewhat neat.

·
Registered
888 Posts
crutchfield has harness that plug in to the car wiring, as would a saab stereo. The other end of this harness splices on to the harness for the aftermarket deck. The saab has a standard din (acutally two) stereo hole in the dash board. You can either go in the dash, or in the center console if you have one.

I have had several stereos in my 87 turbo since I gave up on the saab clarion. They are really easy to install. You do not need any special adapter kits, just the harness which is avalable through crutchfield

·
Registered
304 Posts
supremedalek said:
If you want the painless approach (bonus: completely reversible), check crutchfield's website.
Seconded!!! Crutchfield is an extremely well run, very customer/service oriented business... I can't speak highly enough of them.

I just bought my 3rd car stereo from them, 1st for a c900. All came w/very complete, easy to follow instructions for dismantling fascia, wiring, mounting and the rest of it. Their tech people, via email, spent considerable effort helping me choose, wire and install best available junk yard speakers... :cheesy: they went far beyond the call of duty.

They sell adaptor harnesses that allows you to plug into a new player into the existing harness without having to cut it. it sure beats the cut-n-splice dance..
I used their plugs on previous 2 cars ('95 Celica, 2000 Legend). My SAAB's previous aftermarket stereo was stolen. Theives gave little care to doing a neat job: wires were yanked & cut (and fascia splintered), so there was no factory stereo plug remaining to use.

Splicing the new stereo's harness is pretty painless AFAIC.

Biggest headache I had was getting dash vent hose hooked up to source. I ended up picking up some "stretchier" hose & added clamps, so I could pull hose a few inches above dash, clamp it, then stuff it back in.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
jdmckay said:
Their tech people...went far beyond the call of duty.
It's been quite a while since I dealt with crutchfield, but they are definitely the way to go if you have the cash. The extra money is most certainly worth it in the end.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i changed my headunit in my 88 aero, with the use of these crazy clips that let you attach the new wires onto old ones without cutting them. after i did this (especially with the crazy amount of wires with the surround sound unit etc) the left rear speaker and antenna didn't work. eventually i bought a new headunit about two months ago and got it professionally installed and he showed me that he cut half the wires out and now everything works fine, so if you want the job done properly, just get it done by an installer, they charged AUD$90 to do mine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Did mine with a Crutchfield Harness a few months ago, and it works great. The best thing about is that I was able to mate it to the new head unit harness outside of the car and do all the soldering at the bench.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just installed an after market cd player in my 1985 900. Pretty straight forward. The yellow wire (constant power) is now spliced on the Orange wire of the hazard button. I just yanked the button out of the dash, tested the wires of the connector with a voltmeter to find constant power, soldered and taped the yellow wire on the orange wire. I keped the original harness intact.

I would be a good idea to remove the hasard fuse before soldering/splicing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts