SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm talking about my 2007 9-3 with navigation system.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something here. Shouldn't I be able to simply copy mp3s (and WMAs) onto a CD-R and pop it into my 9-3's CD player and play them (the same way I could play the files on another computer)?

Could it be, perhaps, that I filled the disc too much? The instructions say that the system can manage up to 250 files (the disc has 135 files), but I'm wondering if those instructions stipulate that there is a maximum amount of data that can be managed. The disc is filled to capacity (approx 400-600 megabytes).

·
Registered
110 Posts
DrSandman said:
I'm talking about my 2007 9-3 with navigation system.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something here. Shouldn't I be able to simply copy mp3s (and WMAs) onto a CD-R and pop it into my 9-3's CD player and play them (the same way I could play the files on another computer)?

Could it be, perhaps, that I filled the disc too much? The instructions say that the system can manage up to 250 files (the disc has 135 files), but I'm wondering if those instructions stipulate that there is a maximum amount of data that can be managed. The disc is filled to capacity (approx 400-600 megabytes).
Works on mine. I burn a CD full of MP3s, and the nav system reads the files, including the ID3 tags and presents it as folders but either artist or album. I use iTunes to do this normally, but have done it from the finder (Mac). Do you get an error? Did you close the CD?

To add - I have filled a 700MB CD to capacity with over 200 files and it worked

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
cddakin said:
Works on mine. I burn a CD full of MP3s, and the nav system reads the files, including the ID3 tags and presents it as folders but either artist or album. I use iTunes to do this normally, but have done it from the finder (Mac). Do you get an error? Did you close the CD?

To add - I have filled a 700MB CD to capacity with over 200 files and it worked
Nope, mine just tries to read the disc, then it simply ejects it.

It plays regular CDs just fine, but for some reason I have yet to get it to play MP3s.

Oh, and how do you "close a CD"? I haven't heard of this before.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fmr12B said:
Try burning the disc at a lower speed 12x - 16x

Also, use a quality CD-R
Are you serious?? I thought the Infotainment Plus system was supposed to be able to read a stinking CD-R the same way any $75 dollar piece of sh*t CD-R drive was supposed to.

What would burning at 12x do that a faster speed wouldn't?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
You are right it should not matter but right now you have a problem and if you don't want to explore options to getting to a resolution then don't ask.

What I sould do is start with the basics. Burn a single MP3 track onto a CD at a slower speed, this slower speed reduces the risk of errors on the burn.

How about this track?
http://www.saabsverige.com/media/2007/microsites/biopower_v4/Saab_Release_Me.mp3http://www.saab.co.uk//main/GB/en/i...&advertiserid=google&bannerid=SaabSongSaabMp3

See if that works. If it does not then you may have a problem with your infotainment system.

I have read others comment that a full disk of MP3s does cause the system to slow significantly, maybe you are losing patience as it is scanning the disk and loading the track listing into the RAM. The disc with one track might work faster.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SMHarman said:
You are right it should not matter but right now you have a problem and if you don't want to explore options to getting to a resolution then don't ask.

What I sould do is start with the basics. Burn a single MP3 track onto a CD at a slower speed, this slower speed reduces the risk of errors on the burn.

How about this track?
http://www.saab.co.uk//main/GB/en/index.shtml?campaignid=saabppc07&advertiserid=google&bannerid=SaabSongSaabMp3

See if that works. If it does not then you may have a problem with your infotainment system.

I have read others comment that a full disk of MP3s does cause the system to slow significantly, maybe you are losing patience as it is scanning the disk and loading the track listing into the RAM. The disc with one track might work faster.
Here we go again with the chips on the shoulders....

I was simply expressing my surprise and displeasure with the possibility that the burn rate could affect the Infotainment's function. I was not saying that I would not try his suggestion.

Now, as for filling the disc too much....I did try out a CD-R that had perhaps 20 songs on it. And the system still rejected it.

Before I take the car to the SAAB dealership, I want to eliminate all of the other possibilities. Perhaps it could be the CD-R drive in my laptop that's not burning well (although my desktop has no problem reading discs burned by my laptop).

Could there be anything format-wise that I should do with the disc prior to trying to play files?

·
Registered
562 Posts
DrSandman said:
Shouldn't I be able to simply copy mp3s (and WMAs) onto a CD-R and pop it into my 9-3's CD player and play them
Yes.

DrSandman said:
(the same way I could play the files on another computer)?
No.
Burning mp3s to play in your car audio system is a bit different. It can be the burner, the format or the bit rate you're using.
Try the following:
Drag and drop a few mp3s into your CD-R disc e.g. using Windows Explorer.
When the CD writing wizard appers, select "Make an audio CD (for standard audio CD players)".
If you choose to make a data CD (for computers), the Saab audio system will not be able to read and play the CD.

I would also try keeping the bit rate at 128 or 192 kbps. Higher bit rates tend to "confuse" the car audio system; and you won't notice much of a difference when it comes to sound quality. Besides, you're going to play these mp3s in a Saab audio system, not a Mark Levinson or a B&O.
If you want to rip and burn a CD, for example, Open WM player, go to Tools>Options>Rip music. Under Rip settings - Format, select Mp3 and under Audio Quality, select 128 kbps.

I suggest you try the above procedure. It works.

·
Registered
110 Posts
DrSandman said:
Shouldn't I be able to simply copy mp3s (and WMAs)
MP3s, yes, WMAs - I don't think so. I'm sure it said MP3s only in the manual, as it did on some reviews for the system on ZDNet etc.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figured out what was going on, folks.

Alas, none of you were right....but I do appreciate the suggestions, especially considering the fact that I didn't have a f-ing clue myself!

Apparently, when you go to format a CD-R and the little format message window pops up, you have to click the blue text that says "show formatting options". Then, you must choose between "Live File System" and "Mastered". Live File System means that files can be repeatedly written to the disc. Mastered means that the computer writes all the files to the disc at once and after the disc session is ended, the disc cannot be modified. The description also specifies that "Mastered" formats can be read on all computers and devices. You need to choose Mastered.

So, when you put in a disc and the "Autoplay" menu pops up, you want to select "Burn Files to Disc". Then the format window will pop up, where you enter the disc title. At the bottom of that window, you click "Show Formatting Options", and select "Mastered".

·
Registered
110 Posts
DrSandman said:

Alas, none of you were right....but I do appreciate the suggestions, especially considering the fact that I didn't have a f-ing clue myself!

Apparently, when you go to format a CD-R and the little format message window pops up, you have to click the blue text that says "show formatting options". Then, you must choose between "Live File System" and "Mastered". Live File System means that files can be repeatedly written to the disc. Mastered means that the computer writes all the files to the disc at once and after the disc session is ended, the disc cannot be modified. The description also specifies that "Mastered" formats can be read on all computers and devices. You need to choose Mastered.

So, when you put in a disc and the "Autoplay" menu pops up, you want to select "Burn Files to Disc". Then the format window will pop up, where you enter the disc title. At the bottom of that window, you click "Show Formatting Options", and select "Mastered".
So I was right, I asked you in the first reply if you closed the CD - i.e disc at once :roll:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cddakin said:
So I was right, I asked you in the first reply if you closed the CD - i.e disc at once :roll:
No, closing the disc wasn't the issue. I'll tell you why:

I tried burnigng the disc as a "Live File System" at first, then closed the session. The disc was still unreadable by the Infotainment system, even after it had been closed (i.e. finalized).

The real issue is how the files are burned to the disc, and that has to be determined before the files are written to the disc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
DrSandman said:
No, closing the disc wasn't the issue. I'll tell you why:

I tried burnigng the disc as a "Live File System" at first, then closed the session. The disc was still unreadable by the Infotainment system, even after it had been closed (i.e. finalized).

The real issue is how the files are burned to the disc, and that has to be determined before the files are written to the disc.
Well next time, how about you give us some more information like platform, burning software and the options you have available and we'll be more able to help you.....

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The hostility in this thread is amazing.

Simple enough question to insults in 5 posts. That might be a new record.

Someone needs another galss of eggnog. Chill out guys. Peace on earth, good will towards fellow Saab drivers, and all that jazz.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LaserRed9-3Aero said:
The hostility in this thread is amazing.

Simple enough question to insults in 5 posts. That might be a new record.

Someone needs another galss of eggnog. Chill out guys. Peace on earth, good will towards fellow Saab drivers, and all that jazz.
I'm going for insults within three posts. That would be impressive!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
DrSandman said:

Excellent. Did you download the MP3 file I supplied. You should like it. It was used for Saab European advertising campaign for a while.

·
Registered
24 Posts
slightly unrelated quetsion...kinda...

will the mp3 functionality only work on the newer versions of saab audio systems? (rather, new model years vs older models).

I seriously doubt my 2004 has the ability to play them, but after reading this forum I was still curious. I figured asking couldn't hurt...if no, does anyone happen to know which year did they begin to incorporate mp3 functionality?

·
Registered
110 Posts
jonny_starbucks said:
slightly unrelated quetsion...kinda...

will the mp3 functionality only work on the newer versions of saab audio systems? (rather, new model years vs older models).

I seriously doubt my 2004 has the ability to play them, but after reading this forum I was still curious. I figured asking couldn't hurt...if no, does anyone happen to know which year did they begin to incorporate mp3 functionality?
2007 model year was when they introduced it when they moved to the new head units, and refreshed the interior.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts