SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Saab 9-3 Arc Convertible & 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a Saab 9-3 2008 V6 Aero and wondering what are the steps to remove the fuel tank to replace fuel pump I have read threads here but they don’t show directions
Any help ?

edit & update - jan-2021
i installed a cheap eBay pump worst decision made so if any future saab people come up to this post buy a spectra or OEM one and pay for the full price... also I'm new to the V6 engine I've been owning them for 5 years now and just upgraded to to B284 engine from the 4cy ones so my mistake for doing this !!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Download WIS.

I recently dropped the tank to solve an EVAP leak and it wasn’t that bad but obviously, get the tank as empty as you can if possible. I drove the car until the low fuel light came on which leaves about 2.5 gal. The most difficult part was access to the two rear strap bolts as they are very close to the sway bar and required a particular combination of an extension, u-joint and socket. Also, the fill tube vent is a quick disconnect but it isn’t intuitive how it detaches (you squeeze it). I pried it and ruined it so I cut it off and replaced with a short section of fuel line. You should also use an inexpensive plastic fuel line fitting disconnect tool to remove the lines without damaging them.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Like stated above, it’s not that bad. If you’re FWD it’s even easier. It’s a little tedious with XWD but not bad. Drop rear sway bar, drop exhaust and you’re about there. Depending where you live and where your car is from, new tank straps may be a good idea. They rust easily

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a Saab 9-3 2008 V6 Aero and wondering what are the steps to remove the fuel tank to replace fuel pump I have read threads here but they don’t show directions
Any help ?
Update:
1st. Make sure gas thank is almost empty

2nd . Remove cat converter (for V6 Dual exhaust you will have to it’s on the way to remove tank

3rd. Remove plugs for fuel line on the right side of the tank (only 2 clamps so be careful not braking them and one electric connect to the strap bar on the tank

4th. Remove both straps of the tank
Tools ⚒ 13 sockets mostly and cat has 3 bolts

after you remove the straps tank will fall but you will need to disconnect the hose clamp and one more gas pipe line that’s on top of the corner hiding

5th. Remove hose clamp connect to the tank (use flat head to un tightmetal strap

remove 2 electric connectors the middle ones just slide the red pin and slide up
6th. Unloose gas pump lock with hammer and flat head really easy or justmake your own tool

7th remove and install new gas pump
Also tips beware the inside pipe of the gas tank doesn’t touch the leveler it will not read gas correctly and redo and connect pin pipes correctly since they do break easily

·
Registered
2008 Saab 9-3 Aero FWD 6MT
321 Posts
I believe there is only a single exhaust clamp you need to remove on V6 cars, should be one or two bolts. The rest is just hangers. I can have the whole catback off in under 5 mins on a good day. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just did my '08 9-3 Aero V6 using the guidance in this and an earlier post. One bolt (15mm I think) to remove the exhaust, extremely easy to remove other than it is heavy. Here are photos of the tank and connections:
Black Grey Metal Composite material Cylinder
Black Grey Metal Composite material Cylinder
Blue Photograph White Technology World
Metal Pipe Engineering Iron Composite material
Metal Black Grey Composite material Iron
Brown Floor White Flooring Fashion
Product White Light Black Grey
Product Brown Photograph Style Black
White Black Grey Beige Metal
Product Light Black Grey Plastic
Pipe Cable Metal Technology Steel

·
Registered
4 Posts
On a 2005 2.0L I found the fuel pump lock ring was impossible without buying the tool. On this car I followed the WIS and lowered but did not remove the exhaust. Overall an annoying but not difficult job.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe there is only a single exhaust clamp you need to remove on V6 cars, should be one or two bolts. The rest is just hangers. I can have the whole catback off in under 5 mins on a good day. Good luck!
Got it !!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts