SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are lots of audio threads here and I'm pretty darned sure someone is going to tell me that this question has been asked and answered a zillion times. However, no matter how I search, I cant find it. I'd have thought it would be a sticky.

Can someone point me to the thread or resource which will help me understand how to determine if a specific car I'm looking at has the 150 or 300 watt stereo system?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Quite simple - look under your rear shelf. If you have the two 6x9's you have the "premium 300" which is 13 speakers

If not, then you have the "premium 150" which is 7 speakers.

EDIT:

Just realized you have a vert. Might be the same, not sure though...

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EDIT:

Just realized you have a vert. Might be the same, not sure though...
Yep, I don't have one yet, but I'm in the market for an 04-05 vert so I'm trying to determine how to tell, since the sales people are pretty clueless about that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
doesn't much matter, all levels of sound systems offered are atrocious. Although, I have a sedan, I have the 300 in my arc... and it isn't so good. If purchasing a car is partially dependent on sound system you shouldn't go with a Saab 9-3 specially anything under 06 or later, they run on o-bus and its a PITA to upgrade the stereo system with anything other than new speakers and installing an amp and subs. Unless you can find a fiber optic system that will integrate with the car... good luck on that one....

Yep, I don't have one yet, but I'm in the market for an 04-05 vert so I'm trying to determine how to tell, since the sales people are pretty clueless about that sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
doesn't much matter, all levels of sound systems offered are atrocious. Although, I have a sedan, I have the 300 in my arc... and it isn't so good. If purchasing a car is partially dependent on sound system you shouldn't go with a Saab 9-3 specially anything under 06 or later, they run on o-bus and its a PITA to upgrade the stereo system with anything other than new speakers and installing an amp and subs. Unless you can find a fiber optic system that will integrate with the car... good luck on that one....
I beg to differ, i have an 07 aero with the bose system and it sounds great, I rarely really turn it up because I think it's rude to make the cars around me listen to my music, but it does sound great, very clear and strong bass

·
Registered
280 Posts
all levels of sound systems offered are atrocious

I would dispute that as well- I have the 300W system (don't know how to tell if its a Bose) in my 07 Aero convertible, and the sound always gets compliments from my passengers. Most are surprised that it is stock (except for the front 3.5" speakers and the removal of the center 4" speaker).

If you have the 300W system, I believe you will find a subwoofer under your rear seat (at least there's one under mine).

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it looks as if the '07 models got a much improved Bose system. Is this system (or parts of it) retrofittable to earlier models, 04-06? Assuming it can be purchased or obtained?

The 9-3 Arc I drove appeared to have the 7 speaker system (1 in each door, 3 in the dash) and sounded like a small AM tabletop radio.

·
Super Moderator
9,693 Posts
i've got the ss with 13 speakers system,i've changed all but the door speakers mines great..

still up for debate on the door speakers as they've got some nice bass punch to them...

·
Registered
2,716 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
We had an 01 with the base sound system and it sucked. Our 07 has the Bose and while it isn't the greatest, it does the job for a factory model. The sedan has an access panel in the trunk with two amps mounted and fuse bank right beside it. Really nice set up for a factory model.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I would dispute that as well- I have the 300W system (don't know how to tell if its a Bose)
On mine the front speaker grilles (on the dashboard) have the bose logo) so if yours doesn't have that I wouldn't think you have the bose system

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Don't know about the States, but in the UK, the Bose system is only available in the sedan and sportwagon, not the convertible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts