SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me a few pointers?

I'm guessing that there is a dipstick hidden away somewhere in the engine bay.

Cheers

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Dipstick is located just to the right of the turbo heatshield, its got a yellow handle. Manuals you just clean/insert dipstick and check against marker levels. Autos are more involved.... oil should be at normal working temperature, leave engine running, apply handbrake, put in D for 15 secs, then put in R for 15 secs, then put into P. Clean dipstick and re-insert, it should be between the MIN and MAX levels, if low top up using DEXRON III, distance between max and min is approx 0.4 litres.

G

·
Alas my model of 9-5 doesnt have a dipstick for transmission oil level. It involves removing a plug on the top of the tranny with an alan key and then also an oil over flow plug. Its a bloody nuisance to fill up, thats for sure.. :confused:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
That might explain why the handbook says...manuals - follow Saabs maintenance schedule. I was just assuming the manual dipstick would be in the same place.:roll: I can't believe there's no dipstick, i've never known a car not have one. :eek:

·
Registered
431 Posts
The manual box on aero has 3 plugs, drain plug, level plug, and fill plug.

Filling it is easiest and less messy, if you use a long piece of flexible hose with a funnel attached to hose, No mess then .

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes, with the car level, remove drain plug and oil should be around the lip.

If your changing the oil by yourself, then you will need to adapt a tool to remove the drain plug - do a search on gearbox oil for more information from previous posts. If you get a garage to do it, then no problem apart from your wallet :roll:

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you remove the N/S/F wheel and look into the egine bay from the wheel arch, you will see the gearbox, just to the right of the drive shaft you will see the level bung(8mm allen key).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Finn, i mean the drain plug, its 8mm hex, but there is no room to get the hex into it, i had to cut down an allen key to get it, then its also quite tight, and you really need the long handled allen keys to generate enough torque to loosen it.

The fill plug is easy to access from above engine using a hex socket.

When you drain out the oil, you can do an inspection of the drain plug which has a magnetised head, and see how much gearbox is on this magnet in filings form:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts