SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to replace my cruise ECU. There's a barrel and cable leading to the throttle that I can't figure out how to disconnect from the ECU. I twist the barrel and withdraw it from the ECU, but there's a connector strap/flat cord that doesn't have an obvious release clip. Has anyone done this? Know how to disconnect the strap/flat cord?

This is on a 1995 900s

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
WIS doesn't say anything much beyond "disconnect control cable".

If I recall, there's a flat piece left in the cruise control unit. Try twisting it. I disconnected this cable a long time ago, and all I remember was that it was pretty easy.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WIS doesn't say anything much beyond "disconnect control cable".

If I recall, there's a flat piece left in the cruise control unit. Try twisting it. I disconnected this cable a long time ago, and all I remember was that it was pretty easy.
This is what I see.
72DFA8C8-FCF8-4DD8-9EE6-F24EC9D3322A.jpeg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The yellow strap with the white plastic on the right side is all I can see. My guess is that if I cut the cruise cable near the throttle body, I’d expose the rest of the white plastic piece and be able to release the cable, but then I’d need to replace the metal cruise cable!?!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I seem to recall the bayonet fit cable shroud at the bottom of the pic should be left attached to the module. I don't think it comes apart. I've had a couple from the scrap yard, which I've cleaned up and sold, module with the drive actuator cable still attached. Just disconnect the other end from the cam on the throttle body, and refit the cable shroud, covering the white ribbon bit.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
As I recall, the white ribbon unclips somehow from the rest of the cable.

There wasn't any issue after I had reassembled everything.

It was quite a while ago, so I may be mis-remembering.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I seem to recall the bayonet fit cable shroud at the bottom of the pic should be left attached to the module. I don't think it comes apart. I've had a couple from the scrap yard, which I've cleaned up and sold, module with the drive actuator cable still attached. Just disconnect the other end from the cam on the throttle body, and refit the cable shroud, covering the white ribbon bit.
Hmmm. Should the metal barrel end of the cable be removable? I’ve tried sliding it left and right to get it to pop out of the throttle assembly but it’s not working/not obvious to me. Do you recall how this comes out?

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Both ends of the cable are removable.

"Changing the cable" (WIS):
1. Remove the intake silencer
2. Disconnect the throttle cable and cruise control cable at the throttle body
3. Detach the clip at the throttle body
4. Disconnect the cable at the control module and twist the cable out of the clip

No pictures in my WIS. And yes, no further explanations.

·
Registered
471 Posts
With the Red washer there it looked like the same setup like on the vacuum brake lines - ie push to click. - is there a point you can lever with a screwdriver maybe?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can confirm that my mistake was not pushing hard enough at the throttle to pop out the barrel for the cruise wire. Once out, the system is free to be removed.

Thanks for your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts