SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Aero car is maptuned,i noticed i have amul 1500-1900, as far as i know it seems to be much. I use 98octane fuel. What can be wrong with the car? No errors.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Start by cleaning the maf and run some injector cleaner through the tank. ALso replace the fuel filter. You should also check fuel pressure. How many miles on your MAF?

THe readings you are getting indicates that the ecu is dumping 15-19% more fuel in across the board due to you being lean in closed loop.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MAF = 80 000 miles
Injectors, Fuel filter - 15 000 miles

If i fix my amul, will i have better MPG or Performance?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have been out of the tunner game too long. Can't I just fit a carb??? Now that I can set up. Non of that latin stuff!! Lol.

I gues it's time to start reading up on all that has changed since I left hondas for rock crawlers about 15 years ago. Not that a Honda would ever have such great European engineering!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Three things-
1. How do you find out what your "amul" is? Is this an available reading in a car with an open SID? ***BOOST-this means Saab Information Display-the center thing that has mpg, time/date, etc. You can have this opened up by a tuner and get all kinds of info about how the engine is performing. I appologize if you already knew this.
2. We need a sticky on the open sid, what all the codes mean and typical ranges for a healthy engine. I have no idea how to interpret all the data on mine.
3. Regarding carbs-don't stop there, how about converting our cars into two stroke engines. This was we can all port/polish/rebuild the top end, etc. in an evening!!! I would love to feel a stage 3 turbo two stoke "on the pipe".
I miss my two stoke dirt bikes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am familiar with the link you have posted. In fact, I keep this list in my glove box.

However, I have never seen a list where "acceptable ranges" for each of these parameters. Perhaps we should start a new thread where we can summarize each parameter and an ideal range for the number/readout. I imagine that a person could interpret this data and better understand how his engine is running. Which parameters are good indicators of how the throttle body is performing? The MAF? DI cassette? This is what I am interested in.

Regarding the original poster's question, what is the ideal range for "AMUL"? I will look at mine the next time I am in my car for the purpose of comparison. Does this make sense and is it possible to use the data in this way?

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Regarding the original poster's question, what is the ideal range for "AMUL"? I will look at mine the next time I am in my car for the purpose of comparison. Does this make sense and is it possible to use the data in this way?
Makes a lot of sense. I am sure there has to be something out there to interpret the data. I would be interested in seeing your value for AMUL. My car runs great, but a little on the rich side I think and my mileage stinks. I have an open SID and would also like to know how to interpret the available data. I'll post if I find anything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My AMUL values on a stage 3, e85 2005 2.3T:
first drive of the day = 642 AMUL reading.
Second drive of the day = 735 AMUL reading.

Sooo this is roughly half of your values.
Durring the 2nd run, I found myself in the middle of a group of Ford Mustangs heading to a car show or something. They were all mid 60's Mustangs that appeared to be modded drag strip style. We raced around a little bit and it I felt my Saab pulled even with them. Kinda cool because they were loud and flashy but my Saab was sneaky and luxurious! Stealth speed:D

·
Registered
453 Posts
In general, you want amul as close to 0 as possible, because then your fuel maps are perfectly set up. On start up, and until my car gets up to temp, amul will occasionally blip upwards of 1000, but once the car is up to temp, it is rarely more than 500 on either side of 0, and generally sits between +/- 300.

From the linked site: "T7 adjusts between -25% tot +25%, properly functioning hardware in combination with correct software had a maximum of -5% en +5%, displayed on the SID as -500 tot +500"

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
MAF = 80 000 miles
Injectors, Fuel filter - 15 000 miles

If i fix my amul, will i have better MPG or Performance?
No change in performance if you were to bring it down to +/- 5%. Souns like you have added something to improve airflow without the tuner compensating for it. Ji5mmy has a good definition. T7 Suite is another source.

·
Registered
453 Posts
In general, you want amul as close to 0 as possible, because then your fuel maps are perfectly set up. Mine is currently sitting at 580. (St. 3 GT17)

From the linked site: "T7 adjusts between -25% tot +25%, properly functioning hardware in combination with correct software had a maximum of -5% en +5%, displayed on the SID as -500 tot +500"
That is what I actually meant. I was confusing the readout for short term (Lamb) with long term (Amul). ;oops: Lamb fluctuates a lot more than Amul, but the principle of aiming for 0 in closed loop to control variation in fueling applies to both equally.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok i cleaned my MAF now it has 700 instead of 1800. Can i do anything else or replance is only option?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No change in performance if you were to bring it down to +/- 5%. Souns like you have added something to improve airflow without the tuner compensating for it. Ji5mmy has a good definition. T7 Suite is another source.
No i did not do anything what was not reccomended just K&N filter in stock box and 4 big holes drilled in it

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
No i did not do anything what was not reccomended just K&N filter in stock box and 4 big holes drilled in it
K&N is not recommended. Oil on the filter get on maf that's why cleaning it improves trim. But over time the oil bakes on reducing sensitivity.

Replace maf

1 - 20 of 24 Posts