SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
You can't fit them in that sense; Abbott racing did a set that involved the caliper carrier from the 9-5 aero welded to the 9000's carrier and specially drilled 308mm discs, it was silly money.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok cheers , so if a want upgraded stopping power what would you recommend? does anyone use tar . ox brakes? they do a 10 piston caliper! :eek:

·
Registered
692 Posts
What wheels do have? If you havre the 16" Super Aeros then options are limited. Changing to a non-gassing pad like the DS2500 lets you run much hotter on standard plain discs with great results (relatively!)

I personally wouldnt spend big money on calipers unless I could get big discs which means biggers wheels 17" or 18" i.e. shoving big calipers on smallish discs will be much better but gains will always be limited.

Phil

·
Registered
128 Posts
ragtopcav said:
You can't fit them in that sense; Abbott racing did a set that involved the caliper carrier from the 9-5 aero welded to the 9000's carrier and specially drilled 308mm discs, it was silly money.
I thought that they used 9-5 aero carriers and pads, 9-5 aero 308mm discs re drilled to 4x108 and 9000 calipers, with no welding ??? Marrk has this setup on his aero so he should know for deffo ???

·
Registered
18 Posts
lol 10 piston?? a far cry from the single pisotn on my 95 9000.... Yeah my 9k is a 4 lugger, idk why I have thge cs model, maybe the aero has the 5 lug?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
THere are a lot of BIG brake kits from like maptun and abbot racing. I think maptun can supply a set with 6piston calipers and 330mm discs, which is huge.
However, I reallt don't think there is a need for such s set up on a stock car. Right now I got crossed drilled with good pads and the car brakes great, never experience a brake fade or anything of that matter. Obviously, if you are running a lot of horsepower, and allready tuned most of the things on your car, you can go and spend like 2000$ on a set up per PAIR(so, you would need two per car). It would ne like a cherry on top of a cake from my point.
But I really think that you can spend 2000 or 4000$ much more effective on these cars. However, it all boils down to your value system....

Just my two cents,

Klim
P.S. Amount of pistons is not as important as the total area. I heard that saabs pistons are huge, and sometimes 4pots can't even measure up becasue they have less area. Disks are important and small on these cars however...

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
92cse2.3T said:
I thought that they used 9-5 aero carriers and pads, 9-5 aero 308mm discs re drilled to 4x108 and 9000 calipers, with no welding ??? Marrk has this setup on his aero so he should know for deffo ???
If you hold a 9000 and a 9-5 caliper side by side you'll see this is not possible without some sort of clever engineering or a bit of bodging. The actual caliper carriers [or caliper yolks] fit differently to the strut and they're not direct swappable. Once the carriers are modified [as I understand Abbott welded 9-5 outer sections to 9000 inner sections] getting bespoke drilled discs is quite easy. As I understand things this is what Marrk had done. I sure he'll chip in and correct one of us :lol: .

As for the 330mm rotors from AP Racing, you only need CP5200 4 pot calipers; these are utterly amazing and sit a treat behind most 17" wheels. Partsforsaabs do a nice set that fit behind 16" aero wheels with 295mm rotors and 6 pot calipers.

I have on our 9000 [stg 3 chipped and stuff] slotted rotors all around with Pagid fast road rear pads and EBC redstuff on the front all with braided hoses and DOT 5.1 fluid, the rotors are stock diameter and frankly, the brakes are a bit pants on this car. I must admit the EBC pads are quite new and have helped haul things up but not a great deal. I am hearing nothing but good reports about yellowstuff.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ragtopcav said:
As for the 330mm rotors from AP Racing, you only need CP5200 4 pot calipers; these are utterly amazing and sit a treat behind most 17" wheels.
I saw the pics of your AP's! very nice!, i'd love a set on my 9k but its a 1992 car and if i took all my mods off it i'd get 300 quid for it so i'd be stupid to spend that much on brakes! so i've made up a kit myself for under half the price! 322mm x 32mm 2 piece discs and brembo family b calipers! heres a few pics!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
92cse2.3T said:
I saw the pics of your AP's! very nice!, i'd love a set on my 9k but its a 1992 car and if i took all my mods off it i'd get 300 quid for it so i'd be stupid to spend that much on brakes! so i've made up a kit myself for under half the price! 322mm x 32mm 2 piece discs and brembo family b calipers! heres a few pics!
That looks like a smart and elegant solution; the 9000 in almost any form now is worth little and so I guess it is just a case of enjoying what you have [as we do here, I use we as it is actually my wife's car] and doing the best you can. I keep looking a Ford kits, as the wheel discs bolt right up and the radial mount alloy calipers will just need the brackets modifying to suite.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Whilst on the subject of brakes, my brake pedal has recently started to feel a bit hard to press on from before. Is it my servo thats going? I have tried pressing REALLY hard with both feet on the brake pedal, but it doesn't sink to the floor, so that means the master cylinder is ok right?

Also, ne1 here live in or go to Morley near Leeds that owns a silver Aero? I think it's an P or R reg. It was parked by a mini roundabout at the bottom of Asquith Avenue last Tuesday late afternoon/evening.

·
Registered
128 Posts
ragtopcav said:
I keep looking a Ford kits, as the wheel discs bolt right up and the radial mount alloy calipers will just need the brackets modifying to suite.
Thats what i've been trying all along but the ford guys pay BIG MONEY! for them secondhand :roll: !, this is the 3'rd setup i've made up for my 9k! my m8 owns a garage and he does high performance fords! so i buy all his custemers castoffs wheel and brake wise! when i only had 16" wheels (speedline) i had focus st170 300mm discs with AP MGTF 4pots, they where lug mount and a pain in the ar5e! and IMO they were not as good as standard brebmo 9k discs and ds2500's!. Then i got a set of 17" speedlines!, so i got some focus rs calipers, ebc plain discs (324 x 28mm), yellowstuff pads, i bought the calipers off ebay and discs and pads from motorsportworld, now the funny thing is, i never got round to fitting them cos my new kit came up! but for the price of the focus rs setup, and i mean DIRT CHEAP! they look like the best budget big brake setup for a 9k i've ever seen! (apart from the messing about with the lug mounts!). Any ford disc will not go straight on!, to fit it onto the 9k hub you have to have the center hole on the disc opend out to, 68.110 mm, then they fit straight on! The problem with the AP RACING FORD kits is that the disc on these kits sits a lot more nearer to the wheel than the saab kit! ie the hat or bell is not as tall as the one on the saab kit! and this sends the wheel clearance up the wall on my 7.5 x 17, et 35 speedlines! but with a 10 mm spacer they go on just! and i know cos i've tried as set what my m8 had at his garage, i'm not too shore what ford kit they were tho! go to the A P website and print out their wheel clearance sheets for ford and saab kits and make the templates out and try them on your wheels b4 you spend loads of dosh on a set of ebay!:nono; and MBT ENGINEERING do caliper mounts no probs at a fair price! :D

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
92cse2.3T said:
Raggy is correct, they use the lower half section off the 9000 carrier and cut the lugs off and weld the top part of the 9/5 carrier on. I would like to think they use a coded welder and get the weld xrayed also...:eek:

Discs I get from a guy on ebay in Northern Ireland which turned out to be National discs which they groove and then I got them to drill a 4 hole 9000 pcd...you end up with a disc with IIRC 11 holes in it....saving weight makes the car accelerate faster not to forget unsprung weight reduction!:cool:
Mind you for £110 for the pair and I've done nearly 40000 miles with about 12 trackdays and they are hardly worn.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/sportbrakediscs_SAAB_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ7QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I've located a precision engineering works near me who skimmed my cyl head for £30, engineers paradise....every tooling machine imaginable!! I'm going to buy blanks next time and get him to sort them....might even get him to look at the carriers as a exercise in billet machining!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts