SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not getting any CELs or lights on the dash, nor lack of speedo or anything, but if I jam on my brakes when i'm going down my driveway, which is currently a sheet of ice, brakes seem to just lock up and slide, I get no pulsing sound/feeling and no ABS light on the dash. How do I know my system is working right? ('08 Aero SS)

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
I believe ABS light on the dash only shows up when something is actually wrong.
It could very well just be that there isn't enough speed for the ABS to either turn on, or be noticed by the driver. How fast are you going down your driveway? Forward or reverse?
I always just go to an empty parking lot for all my "drive tests".

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
probably about 10mph (it's a long driveway), in drive (not reverse). I've also tried hard stops in wet/snowy parking lots from like 30 MPH with similar results. If the light doesn't normally come on when it's active, maybe I'm just not good at picking up on it. Just want to make sure it's working correctly as I recently replaced the ABS pump/valve assembly, and I know the electronic ABS module for the Aero's is prone to go.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Hmmm, are you slamming the brakes? (Try that to mimic a panic stop). The only other thing I can think of is possible air in the lines, but that would mean the pedal would sink if the ABS isn't activating.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, slamming them. Air in the lines is an interesting possibility, because I do think I'm getting some pedal sink, even though my mechanic just bled all 4 wheels (replaced a bad rear caliper). I wonder if it might be the master cylinder. Though I have a slight leak in the brake vacuum lines, too, so I'm sure that doesn't help pedal feel. Lot of brake issues with this car ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think when you turn the car on the ABS light will illuminate for a few seconds then turn off, unless something is not working properly (in which case it will remain on).
Its very possible the the previous owner of your car had the ABS light turn on and they just ignored it until the bulb burned out, or they put tape over the light/took the bulb out?
Either way, when you slam on the brakes you should be able to feel the ABS kick in. Try a friends car if possible to see how it feels...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I should've clarified. The ABS light does come on during the car initial "boot up", so I know the bulb is working, but it doesn't illuminate in situations where I'd expect the ABS to be activating (though according to Nocturne, maybe it shouldn't be doing that anyhow). Comparing to a friend's car is a good idea, maybe I'm just not good at detecting it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The easiest way for me to check, wet leaves by the curb or parking lot with snow on the ground. Slam the brakes and you should feel the ABS kicking in.
I feel it is easier on the car then doing it on dry pavement. IMO

·
Registered
228 Posts
Unless they've made some radical change for '08, you should always feel feedback on the pedal when ABS comes on.
ABS isn't perfect, you will still slide a bit, but it should be obvious when it engages. I would get it checked.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sorry, I should've clarified. The ABS light does come on during the car initial "boot up", so I know the bulb is working, but it doesn't illuminate in situations where I'd expect the ABS to be activating (though according to Nocturne, maybe it shouldn't be doing that anyhow). Comparing to a friend's car is a good idea, maybe I'm just not good at detecting it.
It is normal that the light does not turn on when the ABS brake is working. Contrary to traction control system who flashed when working. The ABS system made a pulsating vibration bottom your feet, you should hear some scary sound also, like some in a horror movie...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gotcha, thank you. I dropped the car off with a Saab mechanic last night for (probably?) unrelated brake issues, I mentioned not feeling the ABS, so we'll see if he checks it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts