SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just placed an order for a set of Hella 500ff's from Amazon. With super saver shipping they should arrive in Alaska sometime this decade.

I'm getting them to adress one of my few remaining gripes with my 83 NA: that the stock headlamps (even brights) are dangerously dim for any driving over 40 mph at night. Granted, I haven't looked into replacing the stock bulbs, but I am assuming I will get better light from the 55w Hellas than any replacement could get me, as well as something I can transfer to a newer vehicle sometime down the road (plus they look cool, when has that ever not factored in)

My question is, what is the common wisdom for installing driving lamps on the c900? Enormous bolts straight through the bumper? Jury rigged brackets behind the bumper? Slaved to brights? Seperate switch on the dash?

I'm still a newb in terms of working on cars, and even greener when it comes to wiring. I would be more than happy to make an image-heavy step-by-step guide for the forum as soon as I figure out how to do it myself. Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
You may want to look at later parts catalogs (86 and later) only because they are readily available from saab dealerships and see how the light install is set up. If you can find a set of brackets, you may already have connectors and wiring (less relay and switch) in place. They are mounted roughly at the uprights to the radiator sides, and may as I said, be found easily on a parts diagram. Good hunting and just remember a lot of us no longer have them installed due to parking bumpers in lots. Also, You may just want to try a new set of headlights and see if that helps. They do degrade with age and road grime.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Definitely replace the sealed beams!!! They are probably YEARS old and have lost a large percentage of their intensity. Make sure you get them adjusted correctly as well.

Check eBay. I see the factory driving light mounts on there regularly. You could also use some 3/8in. strap stock and make your own. Do a search on the forum. There were some pics of the pre and post facelift mount brackets posted not too long ago. For the electrical hookup, if you have a fog light switch on the dash, you might be lucky enough to have the light harness in place too. Check for the relay in the main fusebox and hook your new lights to the factory harness. Otherwise, you'll have to run a new one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts