SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a schwitzer with a .48 a/r comp. and .85 a/r turb.
Anyone running something similar in size or able to comment on how this turbo would perform on a 97 900se?
I've fabricated several manifolds and if this would be a good fit I'm thinking of using it. I know it would involve a custom tune.
Is the turbine to large or compressor to small?
I'm just looking for suggestions. I really don't want to shell out the cash for a big t28 but that's the power range I'm shooting for....around 275rwhp.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
Not sure about that turbo, but you can reach those numbers without t big t28, the HOT from a viggen will reach this with an aggressive tune. Not sure how you plan on the rwhp:cheesy:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Even if he is tlaking wheel horse power, a stg, 4 Nordic tune will yield around 280hp. You will most likey need the td04 though as said above, but I'm not 100% on that one, call up genuinesaab and ask them what the exact requirements are for that goal, but for sure I know you don't need to go into the gt series turbos or anything like that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, that was me not thinking as I type. I'm good at that sometimes.
But yeah, I'll go for that "real" wheel hp :)
I'm just concerned my t25 will be way out of it's efficiency range and blowing super hot air. I thought I would go with something that wouldn't have to work as hard.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Heath said:
Nope, that was me not thinking as I type. I'm good at that sometimes.
But yeah, I'll go for that "real" wheel hp :)
I'm just concerned my t25 will be way out of it's efficiency range and blowing super hot air. I thought I would go with something that wouldn't have to work as hard.
Rightfully so, the T25s are notorious for that. A nice TD04 from a junker should be just what ya need. And while you're at it, ya might as well get it machined out to an 18t compressor if you can.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
Rightfully so, the T25s are notorious for that. A nice TD04 from a junker should be just what ya need. And while you're at it, ya might as well get it machined out to an 18t compressor if you can.
Definately what you should do.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I'll have to search and find out what the 18t compressor mod entails.
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
956 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
Even if he is tlaking wheel horse power, a stg, 4 Nordic tune will yield around 280hp. You will most likey need the td04 though as said above, but I'm not 100% on that one, call up genuinesaab and ask them what the exact requirements are for that goal, but for sure I know you don't need to go into the gt series turbos or anything like that.
that stage 4 is 280 crank hp not wheel hp numbers. 280 crank hp would be around 240ish whp. my t25/28 hybrid stage 5 put down 279 whp last time and a new dyno will be coming most likely.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
The many times I've talked to Nick about it, he told me that wiht my set up I could expect around 280bhp with the Stg. 4

Maybe he left something out, but thats what he told me, and I've talked to him about it more than once.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Heath said:
I guess I'll have to search and find out what the 18t compressor mod entails.
Thanks guys.
Well mainly you need to have the compressor housing bored out, then you need the 18t sized compressor blades.
You may want to do the whole turbo re-build thing, stronger more efficient internals and what not.

gpop turbo shop is the place I would look at.

·
Registered
956 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
The many times I've talked to Nick about it, he told me that wiht my set up I could expect around 280bhp with the Stg. 4

Maybe he left something out, but thats what he told me, and I've talked to him about it more than once.
no thats right, stage 4 is around 280 crank hp. it looked like you were getting the crank and wheel hp numbers mixed up a bit. stage 4 = 280 ish crank hp = 240ish whp

·
Registered
956 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
I don't know then, he told me 305 to the crank. I'll have to call him again.
depends on the turbo your going with really, also after 280-300+ hp your injectors are close to if not at 100% duty cycle so bigger injectors are needed.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
sleet said:
depends on the turbo your going with really, also after 280-300+ hp your injectors are close to if not at 100% duty cycle so bigger injectors are needed.
Yeah, he mentioned that I would be close to needing new injectors, but that I could run the 3.5 FPR and still be ok.

I'm running a td04, if that helps it make more sense.

He also told me that with my automatic, I can't push much more than 305 crank horse power.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have an autobox as well. I guess I should keep it around 250-260whp in order to pamper the tranny unless it's more of a "launching" issue than a "rolling punch" thing.
My current relevant engine mods are a larger intercooler, insulated cone filter intake, MBC+A, and thermal wrapped delivery pipe w/ elbow transition ported.
I'm running the t25 and working on dialing in a steady 15psi. At some point soon I plan on fabbing a full 3" exhaust.
1. Any guess as to the whp I'm putting down currently (once the mbc+a is holding 15psi or as much as possible) and how much of an increase I would see after the exhaust?
2. Is an ecu tune necessary if I keep the t25 @ 15psi with a full 3" exhaust on top of the listed mods?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Heath said:
I have an autobox as well. I guess I should keep it around 250-260whp in order to pamper the tranny unless it's more of a "launching" issue than a "rolling punch" thing.
My current relevant engine mods are a larger intercooler, insulated cone filter intake, MBC+A, and thermal wrapped delivery pipe w/ elbow transition ported.
I'm running the t25 and working on dialing in a steady 15psi. At some point soon I plan on fabbing a full 3" exhaust.
1. Any guess as to the whp I'm putting down currently (once the mbc+a is holding 15psi or as much as possible) and how much of an increase I would see after the exhaust?
2. Is an ecu tune necessary if I keep the t25 @ 15psi with a full 3" exhaust on top of the listed mods?
i would honestly guestimate around 180-190whp right now. the ecu is where you will get the power. this is purely off of a guess but id say with fmic, 3 inch exhuast, mbc at 15 id say somewhere around 180-190whp then if you got rid of the mbc and did ecu tune, it would go to 220whp or around there although i have seen more than that but you said your an autobox so that might deminish a few ponies due to extra drivetrain loss and what not. so my guess right now 180whp if you did ecu 220whp. (this is just a guess)

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I think if you so all the exhaust stuff, intake and i/c mods, you should be able to get 230whp or more with an ECU tune. Just my guess

1 - 19 of 19 Posts