SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've just had 1st breakdown with the Vector 03 (2.0t)

Just driving home, gently, when it coughed and stopped with check engine light showing. Still turns over but won't start. Fortunately just 100 yards from home so parked it up for now.

Car is unmodified.

I should mention it's a bit toasty out at the moment, currently 42C (108F), but wasn't overheating at the time.

I think I should just wait till the air is a bit cooler, re-seat the filler cap and try a restart.

Any other suggestions gang?

Cheers for advice.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nothing to add but the obvious such as fuel. Perhaps a fuel pump?

I wish you luck in getting it running and hope all is well with the car.Nothing to dramatic.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Yes, how much fuel was left in the tank?

Saab fuel pumps seem prone to overheating, and it is recommended to not let the fuel level drop into the red zone. Some even say to keep it filled to 1/4 tank or more all the time. The fuel pump housing is immersed in liquid fuel which acts as a heat sink apparently.

Oh, and the obvious thing to do is get the code read somewhere.

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Happy 2008 not only are you in mid summer you have beaten us all for the New Year.

Yes, there could be a petrol problem, but the first thing I do when she goes wrong is take a 10mm spanner and disconnect a battery terminal for a few minutes. Stick it back on and often "Bob's yer uncle"..
Like in the old days anything mechanical you'd give it a kick.. nowadays you have to unplug it.. Who knows might work :D

Cheers from Paris where it is still 2007.
David

·
Registered
980 Posts
If the "check engine" light did not come on until she quit, there may be no code to read. I believe it's normal for the light to come on any time the car stalls, or for that matter, any time the key is in the RUN position and the engine is not started.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi and thanks for the suggestions.

Is cooler today, 27C, but still no go.

Thinking about it the engine light only came on when it had stopped, so there may not be any codes to check. The post key insertion check still says all ok. Plenty of fuel in tank.

I disconnected the battery for 20 mins but no change.

Oh well, tow truck after the holiday, fuel pump seems a likely suspect then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.

As the saying goes, common things are commonest, and as you thought it was the fuel pump.

This may have had nothing to do with the severe heat at all, there was plenty of petrol in the tank that day.

Back on the road anyhow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts