Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought what the hell. It's just a bolt on that fit pretty good

Now I'm contemplating taking off the 'insulation ' under the hood so I can hear the turbo. It's pretty faint even with a tune.

it just bolted on I didn't even need to cut a tube or move a thing. Except the stock air box. But I can add that back... was going to do cold air and let my mechanic do it what....bend do you suppose that would be. 75 degrees?

I don't want to hydro lock the car either.
I really dont notice much of a power gain or improvement.

· Registered
1,274 Posts
It won't do much of anything (good or bad). At best you'll hear a little more intake noise. No clue why you opted to go the 'Magellan' route for the piping.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It won't do much of anything (good or bad). At best you'll hear a little more intake noise. No clue why you opted to go the 'Magellan' route for the piping.
only because I had no other piping / route, it was just a natural fit, I thought id have hood clearance issues, but I didn't , almost fit like a glove,but ill be keeping an eye on it,

definitely dont want it to fall off or rattle loose, I think zip ties maybe gorilla tape.
that's by far the biggest danger I'm concerned about.

im fine with the performance, filter was cold after an hour drive very....surprisingly...

although it was warm on the other quarter near the engine

· Registered
1,274 Posts
Its not surprising considering its winter. You can log IATs but the true test is under load in the summer time.

The real truth is that while moving enough air circulates that it won't make much of a difference unless under fairly sustained high load at extreme temps. I have one on my car, it was there from the PO & I don't care enough about this car to go through any extra trouble for it. I towed a trailer cross country in the summer with 0 issues. Mine doesn't decrease performance any tangible measurable amount; with your routing as is it may be somewhat questionable. Ask the ppl that parrot "hot air intake" how much higher the IATs actually are...they don't have a clue of course.

If you care, log your IATs at idle, while moving, & while in traffic. Repeat in the summer time (record ambient air temps as well) & you'll have a concrete answer for yourself.

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think I logged my iat accidentally while trying deleting codes to see if it would throw one (didn't even think it could do that)
It didint was very very miniscule... like 0.7 could or have been 2.7 idk..
shouldn't it be at 2.8...
It also sets a code for something like evap large leak

... it said on the warning it's not an immediate issue

Next time I'm out ill log some things.

· Registered
2001 9-5 SportCombi 2.0t SE auto-4
567 Posts
Actually, the power gain on sport air filters are overrated anyway, same goes for CAT with stock engines.

If you want more power apart from software solutions or major engine overhauls, I'd suggest that you look for a complete exhaust system with racing catalysts (as long as it's street legal, of course 😉).

· Registered
1,274 Posts
Evap leak is something else...even if you had a leaking connection from the filter setup its before the MAF. IATs versus ambient temp will always be the best judge of an intake (assuming you haven't messed with laminar flow due to bends, restrictions, etc). Again, expect no power gain but checking IATs vs ambient temp ensures no harm done. Then the benefit is the intake sound is far better...most noticeable when getting from 2k - 3.5k rpm.

The blanket statement responses to mods with no actual data are probably why this platform has such terrible generic 'builds'

Reactions: Mimmi

· Registered
2009 Saab 9-3 TID Convertible
144 Posts
Think the stock air filters can move a lot more air than the cars need so adding something that can move more air doesn't actually make any difference. Heard you can remove the sealing rings from a turbo to make them louder but it's not something I would try!

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
hearing the turbo noise was not really my goal.
after spending a ton on it, a tune as well,

might even remove the hood insulation, so I could hear it better, but dont really care that much.

my 2.0T had it, it was really loud, but the insulation was gone,
it was still louder soon as i put the hot intake on,not the Aero though.

I remember the turbo was so loud with no exhaust all you could hear is shhhhhhhhh

but yeah no cool turbo sounds kinda stinks ;p

that being said turbo cars are good in winter, I felt the motor,
it wasn't even hot to the touch, so the intake would have barely any heat soak, now the turbo heat shield, I didn't touch. For obvious reasons.

so its good they are in opposite areas,:D
thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts