SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am new to the forum and i have bought a 2001 Saab 9-5 wagon last year and I am enjoying the car. I have been fixing lit of little things here and there, but one of the problem that I am still not able to understand is the hot ignition cylinder after driving. It is so hot that i cannot touch the ignition cylinder nor the key. I am wondering if anyone had experienced a similar problem.

cheers

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Welcome! I haven't experienced that symptom on any of the 9-5's I've had.

The only thing that might generate some local heat would be the actual ignition switch itself, it is a plastic unit mounted at the end of the ignition pod.

It's a pretty big job to remove the console and get to it but if it's that hot it might not last long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I will check the ignition switch. I have partially removed the centre console before in an attempt to fix the parking brake lever boots.. but I think I should be able to figure it out!

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
If you do need a new switch they are quite expensive, after a lot of research I ended up buying a used one from Goldwing Saab for fifty dollars this week.

Purchased on Monday, delivered on Thursday.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
There are heating ducts that run along the console, but you wouldn't be using the heater these days....

I agree that it could be the ignition switch, and it should be investigated promptly, lest something catch fire.

Also, heat is probably not good for the key and its transponder, and if it's an all in one key, the remote either.

Hmm, is the rest of the console hot as well?

·
Registered
2003 9-5 Aero Sedan
41 Posts
Maybe a stupid question, but where do you live? Reason for asking, I live in Southern Utah where it's going to be 113 degrees this afternoon and the key gets very hot (but so does everything else in the car). I'm just wondering if (and how much) environmental factors may have to play with this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am in Washington, near Seattle. It does not really get that hot here but my car does have some issues with the climate control where it pumps out hot air in the driver's side unless I turn on the air-conditioning. (I have an ACC error code 21)
However, I cannot touch the key cylinder for more than 2 seconds when it is hot. I don't think the hot air channel inside the centre tunnel will cause this kind of heat.

One thing that I have noticed also is that the key cylinder only gets hot when I drive my car hard. (hight rev, or high way driving)
when I drive the car hard, I do smell oil burn and often see white smoke coming out of the hood. I am not sure how this is related to the key cylinder, but the key cylinder gets hot only when I smell oil burn... odd..

I don't think my transmission is overheating either, I don't get any transmission over heat warning on the SID and the transmission fluid looks clean and unburnt.
if I have to think anything abnormal with my transmission, it does make whining noise on 1st gear and the transmission fluid level seems to be slightly over the "max" mark on the dip stick when I measure the level following the user manual. (drive the car for 30 minutes, put lever in D for 15 sec, on R for 15 sec )

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
How hot does the exhaust get?

Again, is it only the key cylinder that is hot, or the "transmission" tunnel and floor as well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am not sure about the exhaust, but the centre tunnel does not get hot. At least not to the point where I would think something is wrong. In fact, it took me a while to realised that the key cylinders were getting hot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts