SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any idea where this hose is supposed to connect? 1999 9-3 SE Turbo convertible.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
929 Posts
agreed - but based on the size I can think of 2 other possible alternatives:
1. Vaccum line.
2. Hose associated with washer wipe systems.

Desander - might be handy to check a few locations:
1. On the firewall near your fuse / relay box - there is a vacuum line that goes to a T piece. Check that hoses are connected and in place.
2. Do all your wash/wipe systems (headlights and windscreen ) work?

Follow the other end back and describe where it is connected. If it terminates at the battery as per Edt - then it is ok, because it's a vent/drain hose associated with the battery.
They are not common here - so US and CAN posters will be able to help more ie fitment wise.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
929 Posts
Curious - Follow up questions here:
Isn't the vent hose meant to be heading down (vertical datum), or does it just need to be lower than the battery base?
Where are they normally fitted?
I don't think my car has this vent hose - so I'm unsure how they connect at the battery end.
The 90 angle bend that jvan and aussie are referring to.. where does that normally sit/fit?

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
What plugs into the battery vent hole is a little 90º fitting that looks pretty much like the angle fitting on the end of the hose pictured. (It's hard to tell exact size in a picture, the fitting looks a little big, but hey, I don't often contemplate it :cool:.) The hose mounts on the other end of the fitting.

I run the hose straight down so it hangs somewhere below the battery tray. (Works with my 9-5 which has a battery box cover. On my NG9-3, I think I found a gap somewhere in the battery box bottom.)

As far as I know, there is no formal location for it. Or maybe I haven't delved deep enough in WIS.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
What I see in pic is: There IS aftermarket battery ventilation hose attached to battery with red angle connector.
So I just ignore this hose.

·
Registered
10,460 Posts
The 9-3's battery vent hose does have a clip that attaches it to the body somewhere around the bumper. I remember having to unclip that when I pulled the vent hose out of a 2000 9-3 parts car I had. I was always going to put the hose in my 1997 900, but never did.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
What I see in pic is: There IS aftermarket battery ventilation hose attached to battery with red angle connector.
So I just ignore this hose.
Mimmi I spotted what you describe as the red battery angle connector in the Pic . Closer look tells me its the Positive cable .
Convinced its the Battery vent hose ( mort it fits into the top lip of the battery , there will likely be a small plastic nipple at the battery that the 90 degree elbow ( thats highlighted in the pic ) goes over.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
929 Posts
Interesting - I had a look tonight at my OG9-3. No vent hose that I could see. The only odd thing I could see was a cable from the negative to a chassis point near the hood/bonnet groove on the RHS near the expansion tank/ wash tank area.

·
Registered
9,950 Posts
Mimmi I spotted what you describe as the red battery angle connector in the Pic . Closer look tells me its the Positive cable .
Convinced its the Battery vent hose ( mort it fits into the top lip of the battery , there will likely be a small plastic nipple at the battery that the 90 degree elbow ( thats highlighted in the pic ) goes over.
You are right. Your goggles are better than mine.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
929 Posts
Thank Jvan. I don't have the protective cover around my battery. Maybe the hose got removed when a previous owner changed the battery etc.
I must admit I hadn't fully noticed the ground wire before yesterday.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's for windshield wiper pump..check if you have a check engine light said air leak....if not follow a vacuum diagram most of the cars have a sticker whit a vacuum diagram under the hood..if not look it up on line ..but to me looks like a hose for windshield wiper pump..

·
Registered
18,916 Posts
It's for windshield wiper pump..check if you have a check engine light said air leak....if not follow a vacuum diagram most of the cars have a sticker whit a vacuum diagram under the hood..if not look it up on line ..but to me looks like a hose for windshield wiper pump..
Washers are electric. There are hoses to the headlight washers but that doesn't really look like one. Worth checking if it's not the battery vent.

·
Registered
186 Posts
1999--its the vent hose. I have the exact same hose, laying the exact same way. I no longer have the sleeping bag for my battery.
Hoses for the wipers, I believe, use t-connectors and they are smaller diameter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts