SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I bought a 2001 9-3 convertible (B205E motor, 150hp) here in France (sorry for my bad english) just a year ago.

Changed the DI Cassette, spark plugs and crankshaft position sensor in july.
The car has had rough idle since 4/5 months I think (can't be sure), around 800rpm and + 40 / - 40 variations.

Yesterday, I noticed that a hose was not connected to anything. It's located behind the front right side suspension.

Could someone tell me where is that supposed to be connected ? Hoping it's not too bad.

Thanks, in advance :)

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Im not sure what function that hose has on your car as i have a b205r and you are in a different country as well.. However its probably a part of your evap system, that hose may be going to one of the charcoal filters.
It shouldn't be to hard to find where the hose connects to just, look for something that's missing or another broken hose you'd think after looking for a few minutes in that area itd be obvious but perhaps not.

As for the car and how its running you didnt mention any CEL? Does it have any codes?

Rough idle can be caused by a lot of things, when it varies up and down, its typically a bad vacuum line, or a dirty MAF something like that. If it was my car id probably just change all the vacuum lines, clean the MAF, change plugs, throw a new fuel filter in etc. Thats just me though, your fix could be as simple as fixing that broken line, id figure that out first.

·
Premium Member
SAAB 900S, 1997, 2L,manual.
117 Posts
Like Jeffbmx1 said.
As far as I can see, this is the hose from the charcoal canister that collect vapor gas from the tank, and placed in the right hand side wheelhouse. The hose is fitted with an electric operated valve and connects to the lower part of the throttle house.
No harm done if not connected (exept rough idling).
Referring to my 900S 1997.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not sure what function that hose has on your car as i have a b205r and you are in a different country as well.. However its probably a part of your evap system, that hose may be going to one of the charcoal filters.
It shouldn't be to hard to find where the hose connects to just, look for something that's missing or another broken hose you'd think after looking for a few minutes in that area itd be obvious but perhaps not.

As for the car and how its running you didnt mention any CEL? Does it have any codes?

Rough idle can be caused by a lot of things, when it varies up and down, its typically a bad vacuum line, or a dirty MAF something like that. If it was my car id probably just change all the vacuum lines, clean the MAF, change plugs, throw a new fuel filter in etc. Thats just me though, your fix could be as simple as fixing that broken line, id figure that out first.
Ok then, thanks a lot ! The thing is, I already tried yesterday, for 15-20 min, and couldn't.
No CEL, no codes (obv. had one when crankshaft sensor died in july), everything is fine except for the rough idle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Like Jeffbmx1 said.
As far as I can see, this is the hose from the charcoal canister that collect vapor gas from the tank, and placed in the right hand side wheelhouse. The hose is fitted with an electric operated valve and connects to the lower part of the throttle house.
No harm done if not connected (exept rough idling).
Referring to my 900S 1997.
Thanks for all that precision.

All other hoses seems perfectly connected with the throttle body. I don't think I'll be able to find that myself.
So do I need to buy a new specific hose as it is "fitted with an electric operated valve" or any 4mm hose will be sufficient ?

Sorry, my car mechanics skills are quite limited.

EDIT : I think I found the other part. The way it has been cut doesn't match but I can't see anything else.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I think you should get a nylon/plastic in-line connector and simply connect the two cut ends together. Or if there is an angle, a 90˚ connector.

If you do want to replace the cut pipe, it will have to be fuel-resistant pipe from the charcoal canister to the electro-valve.

However we must wonder why it was cut. If you apply 12 volts to the electro-valve, it will quietly "click" as it opens. You will see the two blue non-return valves in the rigid plastic pipe - they are notorious for failing open. As long as you can blow/suck the pipe to test the valves are still working as they should, the rigid pipe section is ok. To do that test you will have to block the branch to the "cobra" engine intake pipe.

The blue valves should allow flow away from the evap. electro-valve. In other words towards the throttle body, and towards the cobra.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One end is a rigid plastic pipe with a 7-8mm outside diameter (6mm inside diameter) and the other is around 7-8mm outside, but with a "bump" (then 9-10 diameter max.).
Original hose had a 4mm inside diameter. Can I just switch to 6mm inside or am I forced to buy some adapters and stuff ?

Thanks, I'll try that. Even if I'm not sure I understand everything...

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I do not think, in this application, the exact cross-section of the pipe is critical, and if any 4mm is replaced by a larger internal dia., then the flow rate may increase a little. On my 9-5 I replaced all the rigid pipe (because the blue non return valve failed open) with fuel hose of a larger internal dia. and I notice no difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts