SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello thanks for looking, okay I have a evap code p0455 on my 2002 9-3 SAAB.
And I found this hose not connecte to anything and filled with oil. Can you tell me where this hose goes, can't seem to find anything. Does it even belong there? Like there is a hole for it but then I can't link it to anything else, but there's alot of oil or some sort coming out. And this might be my evap problem. Please help. Thank you and god bless you.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also am on google looking how other 2002 9-3 engines are, and they don't seem to have that. But why would there be a adapter to hook it up? and you think I can by a new adapter to close out the hole? If its not needed?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like the hose that goes to the turbo.

I've attached a picture with where I believe the hose goes.

Thank you, I was also researching and I think it goes to the oil catch can. The hose is only like 6-8" long. And that hose spills oil at times, which has me believing its for the oil catch can. I'll check it tomorrom, because now its late out.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If your car has the most recent PCV update then that hose goes to the PCV check valve. There should be a hose coming from the bottomost nipple under the throttle body which snakes up along the back side of the valve cover. You will find a short plastic cylinder about the diameter if a quarter. The hose in your pic connects to the end of that check valve.

All these hoses need to be free of leaks and fit snugly for your engine to operate optimally.

If you take a picture of the hoses surrounding this area I could identify where you should plug that one into. I will need to see the pics to assess which PCV update is on your car. If you find that you do not have #6, I would definately install that.

Here is a link to the check valve with hoses attached. The one unattached hose in your pic is one half of the hoses pictured.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/PartDetail.php?partCode=9399973A&partName=PCV+Check+Valve+with+Hose

Incidentally when did you notice this and did the car drive differently as a result?? Those hoses can surely wear out with age but it is very odd that it would pop off such a tight fitting. The larger hose behind your valve cover is definately much looser than it should be.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Looks like the hose that goes to the turbo.

I've attached a picture with where I believe the hose goes.
That hose you have pictured is made if hard non flexible material. It comes from a t junction well behind the valve cover which meets hoses that attach to the oil trap and filler neck. That hose could not coil up like that and is also bracketed to the valve cover with a torx bolt.

There are a whole bunch of hoses and I'm still figuring out what some of them do. I pulled a coolant line by accident last week. That was fun...

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Usually that "T" has the larger hose that typically goes to a catch can. Then that smaller line feeds off the catch can and goes to the throttle body. If you run a thicker 10w40 it shouldn't suck as much oil up through there. I noticed switching to the 5w30 from a 10w30 caused more oil to get sucked up into the PCV system. Before with the 10w30, it was dry as a bone. Another thing to consider is being super easy on the car until it reaches normal operating temps when the oil is warmed up. If it acts like a 5 weight when cold, it'll have an easier time getting pulled into the tube.

Replace that rubber grommet going into the valve cover. The backing inside the cover rots and breaks off. It *could* cause damage to a valve if it wedges just right. Also, when replacing the vacuum lines for the PCV system, MAKE SURE they are oil resistant. So specifically ask for oil resistant hose so it doesn't weep the oil, or get sift like yours looks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your car has the most recent PCV update then that hose goes to the PCV check valve. There should be a hose coming from the bottomost nipple under the throttle body which snakes up along the back side of the valve cover. You will find a short plastic cylinder about the diameter if a quarter. The hose in your pic connects to the end of that check valve.

All these hoses need to be free of leaks and fit snugly for your engine to operate optimally.

If you take a picture of the hoses surrounding this area I could identify where you should plug that one into. I will need to see the pics to assess which PCV update is on your car. If you find that you do not have #6, I would definately install that.

Here is a link to the check valve with hoses attached. The one unattached hose in your pic is one half of the hoses pictured.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/PartDetail.php?partCode=9399973A&partName=PCV+Check+Valve+with+Hose

Incidentally when did you notice this and did the car drive differently as a result?? Those hoses can surely wear out with age but it is very odd that it would pop off such a tight fitting. The larger hose behind your valve cover is definately much looser than it should be.

I can't seem to find where it goes, I think your right I only have half of the hose. And also I see other saabs have a round cylinder on the left corner up top and I don't have anything. Here's some pictures, hopefully you can help.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
hmm ok I gave bad advice. I have no idea where that hose should go on your car. It is neither in the configuration my car was before PCV #6 nor is it PCV #6. Perhaps someone else knows what PCV update this car has.

I would highly recommend ordering the PCV #6 update kit from eeuroparts or the like for around $60 and updating the whole thing as your hoses look to be in semi-operable condition at best.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
That line is supposed to have a check valve in it and run to the intake manifold on the other side of the throttle body. The fitting on the valve cover is pointing the wrong way. You also have a boost/vacuum leak because the fitting on the intake manifold doesn't have a line attached. The line should look like #7 in this diagram:

The check valve is very necessary as well. Without it, you will pressurize the crankcase when you go into boost and might start blowing seals.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That line is supposed to have a check valve in it and run to the intake manifold on the other side of the throttle body. The fitting on the valve cover is pointing the wrong way. You also have a boost/vacuum leak because the fitting on the intake manifold doesn't have a line attached. The line should look like #7 in this diagram:

The check valve is very necessary as well. Without it, you will pressurize the crankcase when you go into boost and might start blowing seals.
where does the end of the #7 connect to, thats the million dollar question. Thanks

·
Registered
337 Posts
There are 2 coolant lines which connect to the throttle body. Underneath these is a connection for the PCV check valve line.

#12 hose in the linked diagram is the connection you want. It is A bit if a pain to get a hose on there with the coolant lines connected but it can be done - odd angle, not a lot of space, and a tight fitting.

http://cdn.2carpros.com/automotive_pictures/192750_ThrottleBody002Saab95Fig17a_1.jpg

You either have a line coming out of it going into a check valve with no hose on the other end, or no line connected to it at all and your check valve is on vacation somewhere. If you have no check valve at all, do not drive your car or connect the hose. Order a new one.

If the check valve is there, connect your detached hose to that. Ascertain what caused the hose to blow off the check valve or throttle body, Fix that, then order PCV #6 update kit and install it as soon as possible.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/PartDetail.php?partCode=55561200&partName=PCV+Update+Kit

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got the hose plugged into the part #12 in the link. I can't believe I couldn't find it. Thank you so much, but one thing I might new a new hose for that #12 plug, but I'm not sure what its called, if you can find me a link to it, I would appreciate it so much. Thank you so much again. ;ol;:D

P.S it took over an hour to put the hose in there, sad to say, but its in a tight spot.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Looks like u need the new PCV/breather update kit.
Buy that plus a new PCV check valve and hose kit and install it. Its well worth the money and will save the life of your car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts