SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A very worrying noise has started on my 900 LPT. If you hold the revs at between 2000 and 3000 you hear an intermitent kind of rubbing/humming sound every second, it's horrible! It happens when driving as the revs drop after gear change and stationary whether clutch engaged or not. Does anyone know what it could be? I have just cleaned AIC and throttle valve.
Cheers...

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Is this while the car is stationary, or moving? If it's while the car is moving, it's likely to be a wheel hub on its way out, which is not an expensive fix.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went to the garage today, they thought it might be something to do with the AC (which doesn't work at the moment)
any thoughts everyone?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hmm, easy way to check if it's something belt driven. Take them all off and run the engine for a second, see if the noise has stopped. Firstly though have a look down the back, see if any of them are shaking around all over the place (my power steering belt was crazy-loose when I got the car, and making a heck of a noise).

Couldn't just be something loose touching the bodywork and resonating though could it? (I had a splash guard touching the oil filter on my Skoda made a horrendous buzzing-grinding noise at 3500rpm, took me ages to track it down!)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quick extra note:

I know it probably seems obvious - but don't go and leave the car running without the belts on. Firstly, you'll have no alternator, so the battery will be under a lot of load, secondly (and most importantly) the waterpump will not be operating, so it would overheat RAPIDLY if left running for any length of time.

Shouldn't be a problem for a quick check, but thought I should really mention it. No lawsuits then!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
i have a similar sounds. however, i'm fairly certain it has something to do with my exhaust, check that out, mine makes a distinct sound at certain rpms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts