SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I've obtained a good condition 99T steering wheel (the type with the triangle section over the middle) and I'm wondering how the horn button is set up? It's different to a c900 steering wheel which has a sliding contact and 1-wire to the button.

There isn't any spring-loaded contact for the horn connection so I might need to improvise something. Perhaps there's a piece missing?

Small update... I've worked out how the horn button assembles under the triangular section, so that's sorted. Just need to figure out the way to get it to work with the sliding horn contact setup used in a c900.

Thanks if you can help.

Craig.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To help out I've captured two pics - rear of the Saab 99T steering wheel and rear of a standard early-year C900 turbo steering wheel:

http://www.classicsaab.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=11420

http://www.classicsaab.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=11423

It looks like the 99T steering wheel is missing the part that provides the sliding horn contact... Hmmm. My EPC doesn't cover 99's so does anyone know what the Saab part number for the relevant item is? Definitely will need to call up Saab Salvage at Riverstone (north-western Sydney) today and see if Steve can help out!

Craig.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I managed to work out how to disassemble the part at the back of the 900 turbo steering wheel that provides the spring-loaded sliding horn contact and compare how it fits to the 900 wheel to the set up at the back of the 99T wheel. Apart from the splined hole to fit on the steering column shaft, the steering wheels are totally different and the part from the 900 steering wheel will not fit onto the 99T steering wheel as the configuration is completely different.

I'll see if I can make up a remote switch (should be simple - connect the contact ring to ground via a switch to enable the horns) and mount it somewhere near the steering column until I can either track down the right part.

I've captured a pic of the back of the 900 wheel with the horn contact housing part removed and will link/upload it later...

Craig.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
They both have the wipers for the positive contact and the neg is just connected to the nut or the main body of the hub that makes contact with the steering column. I do notice a different set up for the blinker defeat, but that is easily sorted with a well trained finger!:cheesy:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
scubasaab said:
They both have the wipers for the positive contact and the neg is just connected to the nut or the main body of the hub that makes contact with the steering column. I do notice a different set up for the blinker defeat, but that is easily sorted with a well trained finger!:cheesy:
:cool: Yes the indicator cancel device is just a pin whereas on the 900 steering wheels it's actually formed as a 'sector' of the circle. Strangely, my genuine Luisi steering wheel hub (in my 83 900S, but I might move it into the 81 turbo if the 99T steering wheel doesn't end up fitting the bill as I'd hoped) has a pin for indicator cancelling also instead of a 'sector' section.

Chip Lamb has a really nice Saab sport/rally 99/c900 steering wheel on Ebay at present but I expect it's final price will be very high (well over US$200) in the end. Very, very desirable though - about as desirable as a genuine Mountenay sports steering wheel would be.

Craig.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts