SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05.... 230K

Daughter said Coolant Low msg came on, so I had a look at the 2 main areas of leakage. Not the bypass valve or water pump. Thus is a new one to me..... seems to be weeping out of this little box opening next to the coolant bottle hose. I don’t think it’s the hose or the temp sensor. She’s had a good life at still going strong, but there is a point of no return if it’s major work.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
What does the fluid coming out of the box, look/feel like? It looks like your typical valve cover oil seepage to me. Based off where the puddle under your car is located, it looks like your radiator petcock may be leaking. Easy enough to check, get under there and take a look. Could also be one of the hoses or even the radiator itself.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does the fluid coming out of the box, look/feel like? It looks like your typical valve cover oil seepage to me. Based off where the puddle under your car is located, it looks like your radiator petcock may be leaking. Easy enough to check, get under there and take a look. Could also be one of the hoses or even the radiator itself.
Thanks for responding.... it’s coolant as the bottle is void of coolant, or at very bottom of bottle..... also topped it off last week before the leak occoured. I keep it right under the KALT mark when cold. The telltale maple syrup smell....
I’ll take off the DI and check inside the valve cover for leaking, but she’s leaking coolant. I’ll check the petcock, but I change my own coolant and know I lock that in each time. Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for responding.... it’s coolant as the bottle is void of coolant, or at very bottom of bottle..... also topped it off last week before the leak occoured. I keep it right under the KALT mark when cold. The telltale maple syrup smell....
I’ll take off the DI and check inside the valve cover for leaking, but she’s leaking coolant. I’ll check the petcock, but I change my own coolant and know I lock that in each time. Thanks
Yes I understand, I know your loosing coolant. What I am saying is that you would not be getting pure coolant leaking out of that hole... Your coolant leak is somewhere else. I've had petcocks come loose, and I've had the o-ring on the petcock go bad. Both cause leaks. Both were just suggestions given the first picture.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I understand, I know your loosing coolant. What I am saying is that you would not be getting pure coolant leaking out of that hole... Your coolant leak is somewhere else. I've had petcocks come loose, and I've had the o-ring on the petcock go bad. Both cause leaks. Both were just suggestions given the first picture.
That would be great if it’s just that....more I’m thinking about it, the coolant up top could be from spray pressure at petcock. Plausible perhaps...I’ve just never had issues with those. Thanks

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
The easiest way to find these small leaks is to slightly pressurize teh cooling system.

Take the hose that runs from the passenger side top of the radiator that runs to the cooling overflow bottle off of the bottle. use your thumb to hold over the port on the coolant overflow and use a bicycle pump with some kind of kludged adapter to pressurize the hose. you may need an assistant. If you have a compressor you can use that but no more than ~5PSI

·
Registered
77 Posts
The easiest way to find these small leaks is to slightly pressurize teh cooling system.

Take the hose that runs from the passenger side top of the radiator that runs to the cooling overflow bottle off of the bottle. use your thumb to hold over the port on the coolant overflow and use a bicycle pump with some kind of kludged adapter to pressurize the hose. you may need an assistant. If you have a compressor you can use that but no more than ~5PSI
Thanks a very neat idea, gonna file that one away for when I need it in the future.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks a very neat idea, gonna file that one away for when I need it in the future.
It’s the radiator.....petcock all around is dry. Watched drips form from here:
Looking straight up and to right of petcock, it’s the metal section just right of the plastic shrouding on radiator.
Undecided if I should replace or sell it... like I said I’m over 200K. 216K to be exact. Thought it was higher in first post I placed. Anyone got a link on replacement, I’ll at least look at the steps.
Update-
Took off heat shield because I saw coolant drip off oil filter, and wanted to look at back pipe of WP going into block. Nothing wet, maybe from O ring water pipe. That be 2 sources of leakage. Not wanting to do this anymore. Ugh!

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Over time, its not uncommon for a radiator to start leaking where the radiator and it's plastic end caps mate. It's only 120 bucks for a new OEM replacement with free shipping. If you can confirm that the substantial leak is coming from the radiator, I'd say replace it. It's not too difficult. Keep in mind if your leaking a lot of coolant, it will make its way to a lot of places. Pressure test should be able to confirm the source.

Looks like you have an auto transmission. The radiator is also the auto transmission cooler and has two cooler lines running to it. Make sure you pick up a set of banjo bolt fitting seals so you can replace them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
The "Nissens" stock radiator just gives out over time, mine did. I didn't think it was an overly difficult job of replacing it. The more difficult part was finding the best deal on the stock Nissens radiator. The stock radiator goes by many different part numbers, be sure to search a few of those part numbers for the best deal. Another thing that happened to me recently was my cheap URO coolant expansion tank developed a crack and started leaking under pressure, also not a difficult repair. The lesson is, always purchase stock parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts