SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my hood will not open @ all. Initially it opened on right passenger side (american) and in center but not on left side. Well I was trying to jerk the cable around and now nothing will open. Help. Pictures of hood latchs would help because I have no idea what I am dealing with. Just bought car used 3 days ago.. and I want to change fluids. Will it ever open again?

·
Banned
637 Posts
Yes it can be opened.. Get on yer Knees, armed with a Long thin screwdriver,
start eyeballing the Latch mechanisms just above the top bar of the Chrome Grille.. You should see a ire with approx 1/4" diameter steel balls just before the undersides of the 2 latches. Idea is to move these to the Right (if memory serves) thereby releasing the spring latch. Persevere it DOES work.. when you get it right.. Once 'figured out' you can do this again in seconds... assuming you haven't fixed the wire yet.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thats the way i have done it but i found using a metal ruler better, also try getting someone to push the edge of the bonnet down when trying the handle.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If you spray a load of WD40 over the catches at the front that helps too, my hood wouldn't open when I'd left something on top of the suspension strut until I tried this ;oops:

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Actually the two hood catches release in opposite directions. The cable effectively pinches the two release levers towards each other when you pull on the hood release. On later long hood (bonnet) cars it is very difficult to reach the hood release levers through the grille but apparently you can reach them from below if you know where to look. Move the release levers towards the center of the car and each will release the hood catch. Then replace the broken cable. On pre long nose cars it is a simple matter to reach the levers through the top of the grille with a long screwdriver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts