SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought this from a friend he had a canvas car cover over it for about 3 years (Just after he had it painted to protect the paint, go figure). I just replaced the vert top and there is rust on the engine hood (Channels) near the windshield. I just had it looked at and they quoted me $748 to remove and re-install the engine hood, cut the rust out, re-build the hood where the channels rusted ( 12-16 inches on the left side and 8 inches on the right side) and repaint the hood.

Now I wonder if I should try and buy one from a junk yard and just have it repainted to match the car. (I call it British green)

But is there one that specializes in Saabs or would anyone do? I live in Jacksonville Florida area.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would think that any C900 hood that is straight and rust free could be made to work and given a fresh coat of matching paint for a good deal less. They are definately out there if you look.

Good luck!

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you want a perfect hood, then you can still buy them new from the dealer.

I bought one about 3 years ago for $660 brand new. Then you just need to get it painted.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
ShadowWorks said:
Get a hood from SoCal, they officially banned rust in 1976:lol:
Finding a rusty C900 is SoCal is like finding a needle in a haystack.

It would most likely just be easier to go for a new dealer hood, shipping from SoCal would be expensive.

A used engine lid would most likely be rust free from Florida, most in Vancouver BC are, and we get a little salt and lots of rain.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the input. I did find some for $100 but they do not ship, private owners up in NJ and PA.

I then found a auto salvage company that had one for $195 but shipping is $250.

I now found a new one from Autopartswarehouse dot com for $368.43 including shipping, so I just ordered it. I guess I'll paint it myself (Paint and clearcoat) since I have the tools. Although it has been almost 30 years since I've painted a car, but a hood should be no problem. And if I screw it up I can always take it to a shop.

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts