SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hood liner looked fine, but I was finding mouse evidence on top of the engine. They were harvesting nesting materials from the back side of the liner.

Someone on another forum mentioned making their own. I bought the material from Amazon and used the original for a template. Quick and easy liner that should be effective and mouse resistant. Looks good as well.

US Energy Products 4' x 10' heat barrier mat. Enough to make 2 liners. $23 shipped.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will find out later today and report back. Its 5mm thick and appears to be a pretty dense foam, so it should offer decent sound deadening.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine is a little louder. Not bad though. Seems like a fair trade to remove the mouse hotel.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
But what about the mice? No one thinks about the mice!

Looks great, nice job. Mine isn't mouse eaten but at this point it looks very tired. Perhaps an update needs to be added to my long list of projects.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I think about the mice... and where they could be and what they could be chewing on.

My wife had a mouse that snuck into her car, then climbed into a Starbucks frappuccino cup, and emerged chocolate covered while she was driving. True story. She was not happy to meet him. Still traumatized. HaHa

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looks great. Your rodent tenants remind me of the chipmunk family that stayed in my engine cavity at night. Left nut shells everywhere.

I've been without my hood liner for a while (it came to pieces). Very little sound increase. Some question the necessity of a hood liner. Are they mainly for sound deadening?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
It's important to bear in mind that the acoustic properties of closed cell foam are like nil. I'm not saying you can whisper through closed cell foam, but you can. The only thing that stops sound is density, and closed cell foam isn't dense. The factory "blanket" is pretty dense for a reason. I think a lot of modern cars just use strategically placed plastic to manage rather than muffle it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I mostly just wanted to get the mouse attracting original liner out of there. I live in a forest, and mice love OEM hood liners. This application is mostly for heat deflection to keep the hood paint from getting too hot. I thought about just going without a liner, but this has the added benefit of also looking really nice, as the unpainted underside of the hood does look pretty bad. If you're wanting the most sound deadening, definitely stick with the original. That being said, it's not much louder now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Other than potentially "cooking the paint" on the hood, how does having a thermal blanket over the engine help it?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
There is probably some incidental heat retention advantage, but it's just there to protect the paint. The paint will literally cook over the turbo and turn brown.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I remember a C900 or a 99T I owned had a foil pad over the turbo area only. Maybe a " naked" hood acts as a heat sink for the engine temp, IDK. It's HOT in that engine bay!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wanted to post a short update. I do not recommend the specific material that I used. Even though the seller says it is ideal for a hood liner, a few bubbles have appeared, where the outer layer has detached. Will see what the seller has to say. Looks like I'll be on the search for different material.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
99 and 900 Turbos had a fiber liner with a thermal barrier over the turbo. I think newer cars do too, actually.

I have been looking for something for my XR4Ti for years but I've read a bunch of stories about thermal barrier that won't withstand turbo temps so.... I guess I am still looking. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine had the thermal barrier panel you're talking about. I think this will work well, just has to be better material.

·
Registered
17,663 Posts
99 and 900 Turbos had a fiber liner with a thermal barrier over the turbo. I think newer cars do too, actually.

I have been looking for something for my XR4Ti for years but I've read a bunch of stories about thermal barrier that won't withstand turbo temps so.... I guess I am still looking. :)
Mine had the thermal barrier panel you're talking about. I think this will work well, just has to be better material.

So you guys mean a thermal layer on the exhaust manifold shield in addition to the steel panel? Or something on the hood just about the turbo?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
No, a thermal barrier integrated into the hood liner. Pretty sure all Saab turbos have had them since the 70s.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I spoke with the company again in regards to their material. Apparently there was a manufacturing defect that caused the adhesive not to cure properly. They're sending another roll. I'll give it another shot. He said it's effective to over 400 degrees and used all the time for hood liners. So, we'll see.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts